+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Export car from US, import to Quebec with temporary work permit (2 years) to get registered w/ SAAQ

zabditere

Apr 3, 2019
Hello everyone.
So, I have spent too many hours trying to see if the people from the SAAQ are right OR if the officers in the Border Crossing are right (because they have different opinions about if I need to register my car in Quebec if I will be working here just for 2 years). In summary, the SAAQ is "the boss" and they are right. Check their website carefully because the information you need is there (although sometimes it is confusing).

Here is what happened with me:
Since I arrived to Quebec, I investigated if I needed to register my car (get license plates, etc.) if I will be here just for 2 years. The final answer is: if you have a temporary work permit YOU HAVE TO REGISTER YOUR CAR. The people in the border crossing (I used the one in St. Armand because it is the biggest closest to me) told me that I was wrong because all the STUDENTS come for 2 or 3 years to study and they don't have to register their cars. Exactly! Students don't have to do it, but workers DO have to do it. Which is very sad because it is a long and expensive process. Here it is:

1 - You need to export your car from the US. I won't go into details because there are other forums with this information very well explained, but in general you need to get an ITN number (I used https://aesforvehicles.com/ and I just paid $45 for the entire export process). It is true that you need to leave your car in the US for 72 hours before exporting it. What happened with us was a miracle from God as we started the process on a Friday with requesting the ITN number where I just said, and we planned to drive across the border to Swanton VT to leave the car in the Park and Ride (free) and a friend went with us to drive us back to our house in Cowansville, QC. We crossed the border the next Tuesday (with ITN number in hand, passports and the title of the vehicle) and a very nice officer in the Highgate Springs border crossing in VT let us do the entire process for exporting the car right there, the same day (so we never left our car in Swanton). However, this is NOT NORMAL!!! The only reason why the officer let us do the process without leaving the car 72 hrs in the States was because we started the process the Friday before (more than 72 hrs prior to the Tuesday we crossed the border), and because we were honestly going to leave the car in Swanton for 72 hrs. as we knew we needed to. My advice, leave the car in the states for 72 hours before exporting it because that's what the law requires. At the end we just got our title stamped and went back to Canada (once your car is officially exported you need to go back to Canada right away and start the Import process).

2. Importing the car into Quebec is simple once you know what to do (and again, DO NOT trust what people say if there is no written document stating what they claim is the "law"). As we plan to work in Quebec just for 2 years, we did a process called TEMPORARY IMPORT. Which is an option for temporary workers and the only reason why this is useful is because you don't have to pay the $345 fee for the import, and even if you HAVE to pay the FEDERAL TAXES with them, they will REIMBURSE you once you export your car and leave Canada. At the border crossing you need to show them your title with the stamp, give them some personal information, and after about 1 hour they will check your car, tell you how much you need to pay for taxes and that's it. They will give you 2 sets of documents that you need to guard with your life if you want the reimbursement of your federal taxes.
We have a Toyota Camry 2010 Standard, and they valued the car for 7,000 CAD, so the federal taxes were more than 400 CAD (that they will reimburse when we leave). Yes, cars in Canada are more expensive than in the USA (as our car in US was valued at 2,500 USD), and there is nothing we can do about it.

3. Next step is to Register the car with the SAAQ. The documents you need are: Title of the car (with the stamp of export), passport and driver's license of the owner of the car (it can be from the US), proof of inspection (check the SAAQ website for instructions) and the 2 documents that you received from Customs at the border. Once you have all this, you go to an SAAQ office, present your documents and pay the PROVINCIAL TAXES of your car (more than 700 CAD in our case) and about 200 CAD for the registration and the license plates. It is still a mystery for us if they will reimburse the provincial taxes when we leave Canada (rumors say that they won't), but they told us to call the Ministry de Revenue @ 1 800 567 4392 and check with them about this (I haven't done it, so I don't know).

And that's it! We are just waiting to change our driver's license from the US to a Quebecois and we'll be all set!

Why we did all this process? Because it's the law. The insurance company would not cover us if we don't follow the rules of SAAQ. The insurances in the US only cover you out of the US for max. 6 months (at least the ones we investigated). So we had to do it. It is true that now we are thinking in maybe importing the car entirely (not temporarily) so we can sell it here, but that might happen in more than a year from now.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE INFORMATION OUT THERE. You have no idea how many hours and frustrations I passed because people don't know what they say, they don't know the law. Especially at the border crossing. Remember, the SAAQ is the boss when talking about registration and driver's license. Different officers at different border crossings in 3 different days gave us the WRONG information (they seem very confident and very smart, and they won't admit that they are mistaken). We were supposed to do all this process during the first 3 months we were living here in Quebec, but we trusted an overconfident officer in the border crossing and waited until the insurance company told us to register the car or lose our coverage.

I hope this is helpful and may God bless you in all the processes you need to do!

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Is your intention to stay in Canada for less than 36 months or stay in Canada and extend your permit?
The process you followed looks like it is for permanent import for a car from United States and you did not do a temporary import.

If you are here only temporarily for 2 years, it's a 0$ import into Canada without doing anything on US customs side as if you never exported it from United States . I just came with my car on temporary work permit for 2 years and I had to explain to Custom Officer that I don't intend to settle here or sell the car and officer gave me a Import documents with invoice with 0$ import fees by checking the boxes that I can't sell the car and I am here on temporary basis . I was able to get the Vehicle inspection done today and going for registration later next month and I have confirmed with SAAQ over the phone ( they don't care if it's temporary import or permanent import all they need is import document from the border )

Since the vehicle was titled in the US , registered in the US and was never permanently exported you would be able to get it back in US without doing anything while going back. But in your case since you permanently exported it from United States you would again have to export it from Canada and then re-import to United States if you plan to go back to the US.

See link here - https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/importing-vehicle/temporarily.html

See link - http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx ( Please see it says that this is required for vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. )

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-12-1-eng.html --

vehicles that are not required to be registered in the RIV Program, which applies to all other vehicle entries including CMVSS vehicles, age-exempt vehicles, non-regulated vehicles and vehicles imported temporarily.

Vehicles Entered Temporarily – Visitors and Temporary Residents
67. Vehicles that enter Canada temporarily generally do not require a Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 or RIV e-Form 1 unless they need to be registered in the province or territory during its temporary entry. As such, the importer can submit a completed Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 or RIV e-Form 1 and indicate that the vehicle is not required to enter the RIV Program by checking the "visitor or temporary resident" entry box.

Note: Motor vehicles which have been documented on a temporary admission permit, Form E99 – CBSA Report, or Form E29B – Temporary Admission Permit, will only be issued a Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 or RIV e-Form 1 when the importer confirms or anticipates having to fulfill provincial/territorial registration obligations.

68. A temporarily imported vehicle cannot be sold, gifted or otherwise disposed of while in Canada, does not qualify for permanent importation and cannot remain in Canada longer than the time constraints listed on a person’s work permit, student visa, or other CBSA entry documents. Once these time limits have been exceeded, the vehicle no longer qualifies for temporary entry and must be exported. Should the temporary status of persons change while they are in Canada, the vehicle will have to be exported and subject to the regular importation requirements for that class of vehicle so as to determine if the vehicle is admissible as per the applicable sections of this memorandum.

Last edited:
Reactions: rockermog and Dev.T

judie-byrd

Feb 26, 2022
Hello zabditere, I found this post super helpful, thanks for sharing it! My partner and I are about to export a car at Highgate Springs, Vermont, and we are finding one part of the process super confusing. I'm wondering if you, or anyone else here, might be able to tell us more about the export? I agree with the assessment of border agents being overly confident and giving the wrong information. We have gotten different answers from different CBP officers at the same port, and we're not sure what to do. We just received out ITN number from a service (https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/), and from what I read, we are responsible for notifying the the port of entry (Highgate Springs) via mail or email that we will be crossing, and supplying them our ITN 72 hours in advance. Supposedly, each port has its own policy for sending the ITN and getting notified (see for example: https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/export-help/vehicle-requirements/). So we contacted the Highgate Springs port to ask how to submit this information to them. One officer there told us that we have to go in person 72 hours in advance with the ITN and car. Another officer told us that we don't need to send or show them anything in advance, that we just need to show up with the ITN at the time of export. zabditere - do you recall if you mailed or emailed your ITN 72 hours before you arrived at the border? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Also - how long after import in Quebec did you wait before registering at an SAAQ? We were told that we have to go to the SAAQ immediately (there is one ~20 mins from the border), and getting a 4-day registration to use until we can get our full registration. (We are actually moving to Ontario in 2 months, so it seems a shame to register in Quebec, then do the whole process over for Ontario, but I think that it's our only option).

Any insight from someone who's gone through this process would be appreciated! Thanks!

billybob7

Sep 8, 2022
Hi raghavgrover,

About two years ago, I did what you described - temporarily imported my car to Québec, therefore not paying any duties. At this point, having decided to remain here permanently, I would like to sell it back in the US and buy a car here. The problem is that SAAQ here took my NYS title from me in exchange for a Québec registration, and I haven’t been able to find out anything about getting it back. Will
I be able to sell a car in the US without a US title in hand? How do I avoid paying duties to ‘import’ it back to the US?
Do you have any idea?

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Hey, that’s the problem, you cannot sell it in US without a US car title and they dont really return your old title ( they destroy it , I found out as they want you to do another exchange in US if you move there with a valid immigration status not having passed 3 years in Canada) , so you will need to permanently import it in Canada and then sell it here. You dont need to export from US side ( just dont even mention anything about this) . Go to local cbsa and ask them you need to permanently import it and you will need to pay riv fees of 300$ and i think duties are wavied if its US made car but there are other charges ( see here - https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/import-a-vehicle/importing-vehicle-from-us-to-canada/) .
Try this out and there’s really no other way around this and let me know how it goes. I am moving to Alberta by end of this month and planning to do the same thing myself there as the taxes would be cheaper

• Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicle Fee. This runs around $300.
  • If the vehicle identification number (VIN) starts with a number 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, then it was made in North America, and there is no duty. Otherwise, you will pay a duty of about 6.1%.
  • Goods and Services Tax (GST) – 5%
  • Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) for your particular province
  • If you are entering a border crossing in Quebec, you will pay the Quebec Services Tax (QST).
  • If your vehicle has air conditioning, there will be an excise tax of around $100.
  • Gas Guzzler or Green Levy Tax – If your car is manufactured after March 19th, 2007, and consumes 13 liters or more per 100 km, it may be subject to an excise tax of $1,000 to $4,000. To find out the fuel consumption rating on your prospective vehicle, check the Natural Resources Canada’s website.

cnhartford

Jan 25, 2010
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but the comment above is not correct. You could simply order a replacement title from the DMV and proceed to sell the car in the US.

Ram89

Star Member
Oct 5, 2018
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but the comment above is not correct. You could simply order a replacement title from the DMV and proceed to sell the car in the US.
If you order replacement title for a car in US. Would that still have the export seal which was placed when the car was previously exported in US.