+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring Passport and PR card

Dec 3, 2018
Hi all,

My husband received his PR and had his landing appointment October 3rd and is now officially a PR. However, we do not have the card yet and his temporary passport expires in 9 days. I haven't been able to contact the CIC due to incredibly high wait times but I really need to know if this affects his PR. The long form PR with all the signatures show it's valid until his passport date but no other information is given....

We have fought really hard to get his PR and been through a lot to get to this point and are very very worried this would make his PR card invalid. We have an application in for his new passport but it might be rejected because he has no actual ID- the BC government wont even issue a photo ID card. This all happened because we were robbed when we first moved to Canada and had all our IDs stolen and haven't been able to replace them since. Any info at all is appreciated!!!

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If landing formalities are completed then he is a PR. The expiry date on the COPR applies only to the document not to his PR status.