+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring OHIP car while out of the country

pinaydaga

Aug 26, 2017
I read that it’s not needed to renew it while out of the country and cannot travel due to covid situation. It will/is valid for two more years. Is this correct?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
if you meet the requirement. (from google search)

To be eligible for OHIP you must: Be a Canadian citizen or have immigration status as set out in Ontario's Health Insurance Act. Have your permanent and main home in Ontario. Be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card
To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A valid health card does not mean you qualify for coverage. You must meet the residency requirements to receive healthcare again. You are supposed to advise your provincial health agency of any long absences. If you don't meet the residency requirements you must reapply upon your return even if you still have a valid card or you could be charged for care you receive if you were not entitled to it.

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
hi,
I just spoke two days ago with someone in Ontario health services, me being out of the country for more than a year. she said I have to apply for vacation absence, so my coverage does not expire. I had to download a form, fill it in and send it to Ohip absences in Thunder Bay. That letter/request will allow me to have the coverage extended while out of Ontario, with certain conditions (that I have a residency in On, and I have stayed more than 5 months in the previous two years before leaving Canada/On, conditions I do meet).
Not sure what is your particular situation, just call them and explain. They will guide you. I have waited on hold only 15 min.

Reactions: fr72

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi,
I just spoke two days ago with someone in Ontario health services, me being out of the country for more than a year. she said I have to apply for vacation absence, so my coverage does not expire. I had to download a form, fill it in and send it to Ohip absences in Thunder Bay. That letter/request will allow me to have the coverage extended while out of Ontario, with certain conditions (that I have a residency in On, and I have stayed more than 5 months in the previous two years before leaving Canada/On, conditions I do meet).
Not sure what is your particular situation, just call them and explain. They will guide you. I have waited on hold only 15 min.
Based on posts it looks like they have been outside Canada from before 2019 so likely will need to reapply. Also looks they weren't a resident. When leaving Ontario for long periods of time one must inform OOGIP.

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
hi,
Could you please let me know the phone number you called to reach Ontario Health Services. I tried calling this number 1-866-532-3161 but it doesn't put me through to a live agent. Thank you.

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Could you please let me know the phone number you called to reach Ontario Health Services. I tried calling this number 1-866-532-3161 but it doesn't put me through to a live agent. Thank you.
Yes, it is different from the one you called: 1 800 267 8097. Good luck!

Reactions: Rie11