+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Visitor Visa + Valid Study Permit + Future Re-Entry = ?

MashaG

May 2, 2012
I have a valid study permit [until August], doing my Masters degree in Canada. My visitor visa has expired 5 months ago and I did not renew it on time. Now I am leaving to go to a conference in Turkey, with the intention to re-apply for a new visitor visa from Ankara, all my paper work is in place, letters from the university, rent receipts, bank statements, etc - all indicating that I have a life in Canada, which I must promptly return to after my conference in Turkey.

The first Canadian visa I got was given to me in only 3 days. Now that my study permit is valid but my visa has expired, how long could the renewal process take? Is the fact that my visa has been expired for almost half a year really going to make a difference in the application process, even though all my other paperwork is fine?

Please help, because I have called immigration and was told that they don't deal with such issues. None of the embassies or consulates I have reached have an operator that I could talk to, as they are all automated. My emails have been answered with automated replies of 'we reserve the right to reply over the time period of up to 1 month', it has been 2 weeks, but I cannot wait that long, I am desperate for some kind of timeframe indication of the potential duration of this process.

I have a return ticket to come back to Canada - for the 25th of May. If I submit all my papers and passport on the 8th, will it be done by the 24th?

MG