+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Valid to date of Confirmation of Permanent Residence

Catoin

Jul 15, 2014
Hello members,

The Valid to date of my partner’s Confirmation of Permanent Residence has expired and he has not entered the country in time.

Do we need to start from scratch again?

Do I need to reapply for sponsorship again on both Federal and Provincial levels (Québec)? Or do we just need to resubmit my partner’s permanent residence application?

Any insights from members in the forum will be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
How long did they give you to do the landing?

You need to immediately contact your visa office. In some cases with a very short time to expiry to do landing, the VO has extended medicals and re-issued a new COPR with longer expiry date.

However if you had lots of time to land but just didn't get around to it, you may be out of luck and have to apply from scratch again. It's really up to the visa office.

Catoin

Jul 15, 2014
Unfortunately we made a tremendous error. We totally misread the Valid to date. It is 2014/03/12 and thought it was December not March. Idiots!

I have contacted Sydney but received an automated response e-mail saying it will take 15 days to get back to us.

The thing also is that we are in Ireland now (my partner is Irish and we were living in Australia at the time of application) we were here for a few months while making our way to Canada. So we contacted London visa office too and explained our situation.

I say it’s most likely we will have to reapply ☹ fingers crossed we don’t have to but if we do, is it from scratch? Do I have to apply for eligibility to sponsor and apply for the Québec undertaking and the CSQ again or is it just my partner who must reapply for permanent residence?

Thank you for your input.

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....
01-24-14
Rob_TO said:
How long did they give you to do the landing?

You need to immediately contact your visa office. In some cases with a very short time to expiry to do landing, the VO has extended medicals and re-issued a new COPR with longer expiry date.

However if you had lots of time to land but just didn't get around to it, you may be out of luck and have to apply from scratch again. It's really up to the visa office.
Rob, do you typically have to enter before the expiration date of when your last medical was?

JRPW

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
2013 (re-med)
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Mrs.Purcy said:
Rob, do you typically have to enter before the expiration date of when your last medical was?
Yes. The validity of the CoPR corresponds to the medical expiration date written on it.

Catoin

Jul 15, 2014
It might be a long shot as our validity was 4 months ago, but if my partner does a new medical exam, do you thing this could help by any chance ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Catoin said:
It might be a long shot as our validity was 4 months ago, but if my partner does a new medical exam, do you thing this could help by any chance ?
Nope, IMHO you are going to start from scratch.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
OUCH ! ! ! Darn date sequences . . . DMY, MDY, YMD, YDM and on and on . . .

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Catoin said:
That is what I thought :( At least I'm glad I still have everything saved :)
But, some of the forms will have been updated by CIC.

What a shame!!!

Catoin

Jul 15, 2014
yeah I know :( and we will still need to get new police clearances probably, new medical test, add more details on proof of relationship .... so many things !! at least, we know what to do ! It took us a really long time to figure it out the first time :) aaah, all because of the misreading of a date! We feel so dumb, what an easy mistake, but not one you want to make when it comes to things like this.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why would you need to submit more details on proof of your relationship?

Since you had a CoPR in your hands once, I would think `round two' would be a slam dunk for CIC (so long as nothing has changed with you or your relationship).

Hopefully, you'll get through this at lightning speed!

JRPW

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
2013 (re-med)
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Catoin said:
yeah I know :( and we will still need to get new police clearances probably, new medical test, add more details on proof of relationship .... so many things !! at least, we know what to do ! It took us a really long time to figure it out the first time :) aaah, all because of the misreading of a date! We feel so dumb, what an easy mistake, but not one you want to make when it comes to things like this.
Oh, well. It is what it is. A life lesson learned. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. All of us have made mistakes at one point or another.

Catoin

Jul 15, 2014
C'est la vie ! Thank you for all your help and support. It should be nice and easy this time, nothing has changed relationship wise. So fingers crossed it goes quick !

Eowyn

Star Member
Feb 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
(CoPR) 31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Oh no! That's rubbish. With so many countries involved, they should assume that not every country writes dates in the same sequence. They should have written out the month in words to avoid confusion. That's what they did on my husband's CoPR. I hope they come back to you with a favourable response.