+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired study permit

harnam420

Mar 3, 2014
I came to Canada in Fall 2009 and have a study permit till Nov 2012 after which it expired. I had no idea it needs to be renewed. I did courses after its expiration too. Now when i tried to register for courses this summer i was asked for a renewed visa copy and i was told that i cant apply anymore and have to go back and reapply.

What steps should i take now and what are my chances to get a study permit again. I am still left with one course to finish my four year degree and will register for at least three courses. Thanks!

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
harnam420 said:
I came to Canada in Fall 2009 and have a study permit till Nov 2012 after which it expired. I had no idea it needs to be renewed. I did courses after its expiration too. Now when i tried to register for courses this summer i was asked for a renewed visa copy and i was told that i cant apply anymore and have to go back and reapply.

What steps should i take now and what are my chances to get a study permit again. I am still left with one course to finish my four year degree and will register for at least three courses. Thanks!
u were on an expired study permit for more than a year?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
harnam420 said:
yeah but my school never informed till now and just let me continue taking courses
do u have a PGWP or anyother permit or ru from a visa exempt country? if no u should leave the country ASAP and apply for study permit from ur home country. u have passed 90 days period to restore your status . you are currently an illegal and it would be difficult to to get a study permit. study permit validity is ur responsibility and not ur schools. Also if possible seek a lawyer's advice ....ur case is very difficult.....if ur visa is still valid a lawyer may suggest u to go to POE and explain immigration officer the situation and get a visitors permit for the time being(risky move but in ur case could work).....problem is explaining u being ignorant for more than a year.
also see if any senior members have better advice

harnam420

Mar 3, 2014
mead said:
do u have a PGWP or anyother permit or ru from a visa exempt country? if no u should leave the country ASAP and apply for study permit from ur home country. u have passed 90 days period to restore your status . you are currently an illegal and it would be difficult to to get a study permit. study permit validity is ur responsibility and not ur schools. Also if possible seek a lawyer's advice ....ur case is very difficult.....if ur visa is still valid a lawyer may suggest u to go to POE and explain immigration officer the situation and get a visitors permit for the time being(risky move but in ur case could work).....problem is explaining u being ignorant for more than a year.
also see if any senior members have better advice
Thanks, actually while looking for applying for PGWP is how i find out that i am illegaly here. If someone can shed some light at POE procedure because even if I get an entry permit, that would be great because i wish to leave immediately after to INDIA and re-enter as a student. I am from INDIA. Lawyers are quite expensive here but if need be and a senior member suggests he could help in any way, I can go to one.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
harnam420 said:
Thanks, actually while looking for applying for PGWP is how i find out that i am illegaly here. If someone can shed some light at POE procedure because even if I get an entry permit, that would be great because i wish to leave immediately after to INDIA and re-enter as a student. I am from INDIA. Lawyers are quite expensive here but if need be and a senior member suggests he could help in any way, I can go to one.
POE thing is just an idea and not a procedure....at POE they may make u leave as well cant say hence a lawyer ....chances of getting a study permit r very slim to none. ur an illegal and may be removed.

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Unfortunately, I doubt you will be issued another study permit. You've been there illegally for nearly 2 years now.

Possibly try to get your school to write a detailed letter trying to explain your case, but even then chances are slim.

Leave Canada as soon as possible to avoid any further problems. You dont want a deportation order against you in your file.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
harnam420 said:
yeah but my school never informed till now and just let me continue taking courses
It is not the school's responsibility to make sure your study permit does not expire.

I am curious though, usually SP's are issued for 90 days past the end of study date. Did you not finish your program on time or did you enroll in a different program?

At this point you have accumulated 15 months of illegal presence in Canada. Unfortunately, I do not see CIC granting you a new SP or even a PGWP. In fact, I would assume you would face a bar from re-applying of some sort.

harnam420

Mar 3, 2014
txboyscout said:
It is not the school's responsibility to make sure your study permit does not expire.

I am curious though, usually SP's are issued for 90 days past the end of study date. Did you not finish your program on time or did you enroll in a different program?

At this point you have accumulated 15 months of illegal presence in Canada. Unfortunately, I do not see CIC granting you a new SP or even a PGWP. In fact, I would assume you would face a bar from re-applying of some sort.
Thanks I am only left with one course, I did the same course all throughout. When will I be notified of the bar. Should i contact someone and let them know of the situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is no one to contact. As others have said, it was your responsibility to keep your study permit valid.

You need to leave Canada and then apply for a new study permit from outside of Canada. In this new study permit application you can explain your situation and hope CIC officials are sympathetic. That's your only option.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
harnam420 said:
Thanks I am only left with one course, I did the same course all throughout. When will I be notified of the bar. Should i contact someone and let them know of the situation.
You have been in the same program throughout and still have 1 course left, almost 2 years after the time you were suppoused to finish? What happened? Did you fail all of your classes? You do realize that you were required to be enrolled full time, right?

chiazoka

Oct 9, 2015

Hello

Please, can you provide an update regarding your status. My brother is currently in the same position. He has applied for TRV but it's now more than a year without reply.

We are considering if he should leave Canada and come back home