+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired study permit - waiting for PGWP

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am graduating in the next couple of days, and this is my situation:
My study permit expires on August 31st 2019 and I should be starting full-time work in mid-September or so. I will be applying for PGWP in the next 2 weeks from Canada with processing time approximately 7 weeks according to the website.

I understand that I can stay in Canada after my study permit expires and be in 'Implied Status' to work and wait for my PGWP.
However, I would like to be able to leave Canada in August, and come back in September. What I am confused about is the following:

- Once my study permit expires, I will not have a valid visa anymore. Even when I get PGWP, I will still not have a valid visa. Do I have to make an appointment at the consulate in my home country to get a new visa (what kind of visa would it be?) to be able to enter and leave Canada with my PGWP ?

- Instead of letting my study permit expire and be in implied status, is it possible to extend it by flagpoling? To be clear, my program ends in August 2019, so will authorities at the border renew my study permit for 1/2 months just to give me some time to get my PGWP?

- If I leave Canada and come back on say August 30th (1 day before expiry of study permit), is it possible that authorities don't let me in Canada because it looks weird ?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.