+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired residency and holiday entry

Piperboy

Mar 31, 2014
Hi. I have an expired PR card, through my Canadian wife.
As it turned out, we moved back to the UK soon after getting my PR so i haven't done the required number of days in Canada in the 5 years of the card.
I am, however, still married to the Canadian citizen and she has resided outside Canada with me the whole time so i think i'm still eligible to renew.

However, we are not living in Canda currently so i don't think i can apply for a renewal as i don't have a Canadian residential address or proof thereof. Is that correct?

That leads to an issue when we want to go on holiday in Canada for the kids to see their grandparents, my wife to see her parents, etc. Last time i got the temporary travel doc but that was almost as long a process as doing the renewal.
Is it possible for me to simply enter Canada as a visitor on my UK passport? Should i take evidence of UK residency such as mortgage statements, etc. to show i intend to return?

Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
You have a UK passport and are visa exempt. You should not have any trouble entering Canada as a visitor, and if asked upon entry about your PR, you can show them your landing papers, your expired PR card and explain to them that you have been living outside Canada with your Canadian spouse, but have not been inside canada to renew your PR card.

I would suggest while you are in inside Canada you might want to take the time to go ahead and send in your proofs of being outside with your wife, and submit your renewal application. Use your inlaws address to have the card mailed and they can then forward it on to you.

I don't see how you would have any issues to renew the card so long as you include proofs that you have been with your spouse the entire time.

Good luck and have a nice visit!