+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Refugee ID - Need Help

sadaf2018

Apr 13, 2020
Hi,

My Hearing is already done in Mid Feb 2020. I am still waiting for the decision.

I had my Refugee ID valid up to 2 years with expiry in February 2020. Now it is May 2020 and I couldn't get it renewed.

I have received my renewed WORK PERMIT which is VALID up to 2022. And based on it, I can get my SIN number.

However, I heard that I don't need to renew my REFUGEE ID. Because the immigration will not renew it. And I can use the expired Refugee ID.
Is this true?

If I am supposed to renew my Refugee ID Document, can I visit the ETOBICOKE office these days to get it renewed?

Thanks.

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hi Sadaf2018,

You got this right, Immigration will not renew your refugee ID. Once it's expired, it's done..
My question would be, why you need this paper to be valid? are you planning to travel within Canada?.. I'll advise to get a Driver's Licence or ID Card from the province you live to do this.

Reactions: sadaf2018

sadaf2018

Apr 13, 2020
Hi Sadaf2018,

You got this right, Immigration will not renew your refugee ID. Once it's expired, it's done..
My question would be, why you need this paper to be valid? are you planning to travel within Canada?.. I'll advise to get a Driver's Licence or ID Card from the province you live to do this.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for confirming. I do have a driving license and a valid work permit. I thought it may be required for something that I am not aware of. I do not need to renew it for specific purposes. It was just to confirm if I should renew it or IRCC renews it.

Again thank you for your response.

eni2000

Sep 28, 2015
Hi,

Thanks a lot for confirming. I do have a driving license and a valid work permit. I thought it may be required for something that I am not aware of. I do not need to renew it for specific purposes. It was just to confirm if I should renew it or IRCC renews it.

Again thank you for your response.
Pls renew your ID. Go to Etobicoke and get it renewed. It would be done. You never can tell when you will need it, for medical you need a renewed ID.