+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired PR with job offer

blaah

Apr 12, 2010
I landed in Canada back in 2011, and to be honest,I left after 8 months because I got a job offer I could not refuse as an EHR analyst, a job high in demand in Canada now.
Anyway, my PR card expired in 2016, and now I am planing to go back and got a job offer as analyst.

I know to go back in Canada I have to get a travel document and then appeal, but honestly I am afraid to quit my job here, and then get refusal to renew my card.
What are my best options?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you apply for a PRTD having failed the RO then as you imply your PR status would likely be revoked. If you turn up at a US land border then whilst as a PR you would be entitled to enter you could be reported leading to PR status being revoked subject to appeal. If not reported you would need of course to stay put for 2 plus years without any IRCC contact before attempting to renew your PR card.

So really your options are limited take a risk with either a PRTD or US land border or just renounce your PR and start from scratch again

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. While the option for you to appeal is available, based on what you have describe, the chances of a successful appeal are probably pretty limited. You’ll be taking a risk regardless of your entry method. And if you do apply for a travel document and it’s rejected, you probably aren’t eligible , nor likely to receive one even with an appeal.

blaah

Apr 12, 2010
Yeah I was thinking about renouncing my PR and start over..
but for now since I have a job offer with that help?also during those years I got 3 new degrees, one from Laval university(started while in Canada and continued it online..) will those help for a successful appeal?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
They will be looking at the reason you could not comply with the residency obligations. It wasn't a couple days you were short of the 2 out of 5. It was YEARS.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yeah I was thinking about renouncing my PR and start over..
but for now since I have a job offer with that help?also during those years I got 3 new degrees, one from Laval university(started while in Canada and continued it online..) will those help for a successful appeal?
Your best option is to renounce your PR and then just go through the process again. Your chances of winning an appeal are unknown, but in my opinion not very high since you decided to leave voluntarily just for a better job.

blaah

Apr 12, 2010
Yeah I will do that..
final question, I have an online degree from Laval university: it is treated the same as on campus? it is enough to prove my language proficiency in English and french? since i don't want to retake the tests...

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yeah I will do that..
final question, I have an online degree from Laval university: it is treated the same as on campus? it is enough to prove my language proficiency in English and french? since i don't want to retake the tests...
1. WES will evaluate your degree and tell you.
2. No, you will have to retake the IELTS/TEF

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Technically, your degrees and job offer won’t make much of a difference in a residency review. The RO is more than generous and you literally agreed to those conditions when you became a PR. The choice not to comply was yours. That said, during a review, if you are in Canada, your establishment and integration into the community during the wait can tip the scales in your favour. I would never recommend anyone “just renounce” without at least trying to enter the country. Being reported seems to be pretty much hit or miss. If you make it in without being reported, great. If not, you can assess your options (practically) at that time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You would have to inform your potential Canadian employer that travel out of Canada would not be possible for 2-3 years iff you are able to enter Canada without being reported. Not sure if travel would be part of your job. Not being reported is much harder if you are not from a visa exempt country.