+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired PR for more than 15 years

dee2019

Aug 23, 2019
Hi
my brother has Expired PR for 15 years ago, he couldnt stay in canada for that long because he was taking care of my sick mother for that period of time. My mom passed away and he is asking if there is a way to retrieve his PR back in order to come back to canada.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
How old is your brother? When did your mom pass away? Do you have no other siblings/parents/family in the home country?

Give a good summary of the situation if you want anyone to try and advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long was he in Canada? Has he been able to work while in India or has he been a caregiver spending the day in hospital or with your mother?

dee2019

Aug 23, 2019
well he got the PR on 1992, spent 6 months in canada till june 1993 , left when we have told my mom has crtictical heart problem and came back again to canada on spring 1994 for three months , since that time he couldnt make it again, Yes i have other siblings there, but he was the provider of the house after my dad passed away on 1991. while that period he worked as an engineer till my mom passed away two years ago,he is on his 50s now .
If any more concerns are required , please let me know in order to find a way to help him

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
IMO, he has no chance at H&C or an appeal. He has been out of Canada for far too long. If your mother got sick in 1994 and passed away only 2 years ago, I don’t see how that was a critical illness. If there was a critical illness from 1994, he should have returned as soon she was okay. There were other siblings in the mix as well who could have cared for your mother.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Would have to question why as many other people do live and work in Canada and send money home especially as in this case there seem to be others who could have taken up the care responsibility. Add to that 2 years have already gone by so why now all of a sudden.

Nobody here of course can do any more than speculate but odds do not look good for any strong case but nothing to stop him applying for a PRTD with all the proof and explanation why he was not able to return earlier given the presence of siblings and the fact if was simply a financial reason there would be nothing stopping him from sending money home from Canada to support his mother financially.

dee2019

Aug 23, 2019
Sorry i didn't mention that she was in coma for a period of time, and he was the only suportive there not only financially. In order to apply for PRTD, is that has to be done inside canada or from the embassy. Plus if i can add my sponsership , i am willing to do whatever if needs to help

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Sorry i didn't mention that she was in coma for a period of time, and he was the only suportive there not only financially. In order to apply for PRTD, is that has to be done inside canada or from the embassy. Plus if i can add my sponsership , i am willing to do whatever if needs to help
Was she in a coma from 1994 to 2017? If not, my comment stands. He should have returned as soon as she was not in a coma anymore. The other siblings should have been the one to care for your mother. If she were in a coma, his presence there would not have made a difference. Your sponsorship means nothing to IRCC unless you are single (no spouse and kids) and have no living relatives that are Canadian citizens or PRs.

But, as Bs65 said, he can apply for a PRTD. Won’t hurt.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
He'll have to apply for the PRTD at the embassy. Follow this guide

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

You cannot sponsor him or do anything really to help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that he was working and wasn’t caring for his mother full-time. When you apply for PRTD for H$C reasons the family member is more of the active caregiver and not able to work at the same time.