+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR, entered canada thru USA border - officers applied section 44 Residency Obligation & Removal Order . what next?

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Here is what I have an issue with:

Canadian skilled PRs were qualified for permanent residence by Canadian government (with the rights and privileges almost mirroring those of Can. citizens) , and their qualification was based on Canada's alleged need to employ them due to scarcity of such skilled workers in Canadian labor market (which is hugely misleading, if you consider the extreme length people get to land any job, which often turns out to be a survival job)
The Canadian govt qualifies a person based on their skills, and provides them an opportunity to move to live in Canada because they will likely succeed based on their skills. It is not a right, but an "opportunity" to live in a developed country. And it comes with RO conditions since they want PRs to make Canada their home. It has worked since most skilled immigrants settle and do well. The Canadian govt never promises anyone with a job, it is on an each individual to search for.

Immigration to a new country is hard, packing your bags to move to a new place is risk. And anyone who embarks on this path has to understand those risks. You have talked about personal responsibility, but here you make it sound like the fault lies with the country. The risk lies with the individual, the country just provided them with a chance to succeed and a better life.

It took my wife 6 months to find a job in Canada, and another 3 months to find comparable position to what it was in the US. It was easy for us to blame the society/country, but we know we made a choice to move and take a risk, and its on us to try to succeed. The market is what it is, and we always knew what we were getting into by doing "google search".

No one is painting a rosy picture here, but migration to a new country comes with risks and the only person who can guarantee success is the person whose journey it is, not the country or the society.

Thank you for coming to my "Ted Talk on Personal Responsibility".

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
For those with extremely thick skulls, one more time:

".......their qualification was based on Canada's alleged need to employ them due to scarcity of such skilled workers in Canadian labor market (which is hugely misleading, if you consider the extreme length people get to land any job, which often turns out to be a survival job)...."

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015

".......their qualification was based on Canada's alleged need to employ them due to scarcity of such skilled workers in Canadian labor market (which is hugely misleading, if you consider the extreme length people get to land any job, which often turns out to be a survival job)...."
Again, you took a risk but didn't succeed and the fault lies with the country. That has been your point of view throughout.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The Canadian govt qualifies a person based on their skills, and provides them an opportunity to move to live in Canada because they will likely succeed based on their skills. It is not a right, but an "opportunity" to live in a developed country. And it comes with RO conditions since they want PRs to make Canada their home. It has worked since most skilled immigrants settle and do well. The Canadian govt never promises anyone with a job, it is on an each individual to search for.
Thank you for coming to my "Ted Talk on Personal Responsibility".

You miss the point about how Canada's current system is constructed, because you don't know the history.

You've referred to (in previous posts) that Canada should have a much more tightly-coupled "skills to jobs" criteria* - because, again, clearly you don't know that Canada has done that before.

And it had all kinds of problems - government had much higher responsibility to estimate exactly the job market's demand for particular skills, AND study extremely carefully whether an individual's specific skills, education, etc., precisely met the requirements of employers (not to mention personality and real-life language skills, not testing centres), AND timeframes are such that very often, any specific job openings would be gone and filled by the time the immigration file was completed.

Basically, it turned the Canadian govt as represented by different departments into one enormous GosPlan (CanPlan?). The results were not spectacular, and had lots of unpleasant side-effects and problems apart from just plain not working well. (This is one reason I find the complaints/suggestions that government should try to 'balance the job market' by doing matching etc so laughable - it's so obviously dirigiste and contrary to market principles).

Obviously there are remnants of that previous approach - job classifications and points, different immigration programs, foreign skilled workers, etc (including some that are used to fill specific jobs), NAFTA programs, etc. (Since the pandemic another change in this regard is to recognize that foreigners-in-Canada that are working have already DONE the matching process, and so come up with programs to let those inside Canada apply more easily - this was not the only reason but it's related).

But overall, for a fairly long time now, it's been much more "give them points for education and skill levels" and let the individuals and companies work it out. Some will do well, some won't, some will start companies, some will leave, some will stay (and contrary to the gut expectation of many, ACTUAL departures/retention of immigrants hasn't got worse over the decades - because the big drivers are macroeconomic push and pull factors within Canada and between Canada and other countries, as well as industry-specific issues - oil and gas and tech amongst them).

Because - and this shouldn't surprise anyone that graduated kindergarten - Canada is looking out for the interests of the country as a whole. And is quite explicit that Canada needs a lot of immigrants and has decided that educated/skilled workers are better for the country. Once they get here, they'll either make it work or won't. This is a Large Numbers project, not fiddling at the margins about whether this sub-category of workers is happy or ends up moving to California.

Sure, the government invests a lot and studies what interventions can be done to help - language classes, 'Canadian experience', lots of little programs here and there. And every government announces their own set of new initiatives and pilot projects and the like. Retaining immigrants that have already moved here is better. (True of native born and lots of native born end up moving as well)

And you know what? Those programs barely move the needle. They're still Good Things to Do, even the Right Thing to Do. But the truth is, Canada's a mid-sized economy next to one of the world's largest, and the weather is not what most of the world considers "ideal." (That is as nicely as I can put it about the weather).

The government's long ago understood - there will ALWAYS be a certain proportion of immigrants and residents that find better opportunities elsewhere, there will always be some who prefer the weather in California or Arizona or even Texas, etc. Some like London, Paris. Some will return to their 'home' countries because pruchasing power is much better there. Some will want a fatter paycheque above all else, and some (many) will find that the tax burden/paycheque/quality of life equation is perfectly acceptable once you account for education, healthcare, and other services. Some will stay in Canada because security and stability and safety really are better than a lot of other countries.

And not very much of that is directly affected by micro-interventions like trying to match immigratns to jobs better, and when it does work, it's often not cost-effective or doesn't 'scale' to the hundreds of thousands that is needed to make a serious difference. (It's also not true that huge nubmers of immigrants are working as rickshaw drivers - but government does try to make integration and employment easier, and they should).

Nope, no GosPlan - been there, done that.

Reactions: IndianBos

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Again, you took a risk but didn't succeed and the fault lies with the country. That has been your point of view throughout.
You don't understand, it's not about me individually. It's about macroeconomics and governmernt policy. Canada alleges that she needs to employ 200,000-400,000 skilled PRs each year, due to scarcity of such skilled workers in Canadian labor market. THAT ALLEGATION/CLAIM IS FALSE, which is evidenced by the fact that PRs go to extreme length to land any job, which often turns out to be a survival job.

You are making this into ad hominem argument, tryting to make this all about me and how I fared and etc. First of all, that's a textbook logical fallacy, and it tells me that you are out of valid arguments to counter what I stated.
Furthermore, what I am talking about is not me personally (or you or any other individual per se), but the state and the serious policy flaw it has, if you consider macro-economic conditions/job market in Canada, and the false hope given by misleading allegation and propaganda, which results in 400,000 desperate PRs coming to Canada and then starting a rat race to clean toilets with MBA's in their pockets, despite years of experience working for leading companies in their field , in India, France, USA, Germany and so on.

Last edited:

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
You don't understand, it's not about me individually. It's about macroeconomics and governmernt policy. Canada alleges that she needs to employ 200,000-400,000 skilled PRs each year, due to scarcity of such skilled workers in Canadian labor marke. THAT ALLEGATION/CLAIM IS FALSE, which is evidenced by the facty that PRs go to extreme length to land any job, which often turns out to be a survival job.

You are making this into ad hominem argument, tryting to make this all about me and how I fared and etc. First of all, that's a textbook logical fallacy, and it tells me that you are out of valid arguments to counter what I stated.
Furthermore, what I am talking about is not me personally (or you or any other individual per se), but state that here is serious policy flaw if you consider macro-economic conditions in Canada, and the false hope given by misleading allegationand propaganda, which results in 400,000 desperate PRs coming to Canada and then starting a rat race to clean toilets with MBA's in their pockets and years of experience working for leading companies in their field in India, France, USA, Germany and so on.
Your premise of "PR often needs to take up survival jobs" is grossly over-exagerrated. Do you only have anecdotal evidence or there is data to support your arguments?
Please don't point out just articles, give me % if you have any please. Reply only with data that proves your point if the problem is as big as you say it is.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You don't understand, it's not about me individually. It's about macroeconomics and governmernt policy. Canada alleges that she needs to employ 200,000-400,000 skilled PRs each year, due to scarcity of such skilled workers in Canadian labor marke. THAT ALLEGATION/CLAIM IS FALSE, which is evidenced by the facty that PRs go to extreme length to land any job, which often turns out to be a survival job.
Furthermore, what I am talking about is not me personally (or you or any other individual per se), but state that here is serious policy flaw if you consider macro-economic conditions in Canada, and the false hope given by misleading allegation and propaganda, which results in 400,000 desperate PRs coming to Canada and then starting a rat race to clean toilets with MBA's in their pockets and years of experience working for leading companies in their field in India, France, USA, Germany and so on.
I think the claim that mbas are in a rat race to clean toilets in Canada - or drive rickshaws, as this individual has claimed many many times, is way overstated - like, it's clearly nonsense.

That said, sure, there are issues in finding jobs, in many cases requires changing professions, etc. There are professional reports on wage gaps (between those born in Canada and immigrants, which not surprisingly declines over time) and other job market frictions.

Personally I agree that Canadian employers can be, ahem, quite 'provincial', in the sense that they value Canadian experience and education too highly and don't want to take risks. I discuss this with friends. Personally when I compare (generally) to the situation for immigrants in other countries (as opposed to home countries), absolutely - it's hard. But compared to 'most other countries' (that accept immigrants openly anyway), not so very bad. Government does some stuff to mitigate - as well it should - but it's not such an easy thing to just 'fix.' (As an example - does anyone think that fewer immigrants ever actually leads to fewer issues of integration like this? Government's not going to fix it by just limiting immigration).

Worse than the USA? Perhaps. Depends who you are / what kind of immigrant / your background / where. If you're a blockchain twit with a crypto background, you probably are better off in the USA (and speaking personally, Canada's probably better off if you go to and remain in USA).

Because let's state this up-front: Canada's immigration system reflects a very explicit choice to prefer educated, skilled immigrants over others. The difference between the USA and Canada is stark on this dimension - because they are different countries and societies that also have (surprisingly to many) quite different education systems (and results).

You can disagree with that choice - sure - but if you treat it like it's a mistake, you're just demonstrating you don't know anything much about Canada.

In short, Canada's quite a bit more educated:
https://data.oecd.org/eduatt/adult-education-level.htm#indicator-chart

(Note almost all of these figures compare 25-64 year olds i.e. working age groups).

The point on the chart to pay attention to is tertiary (basically university/post-secondary) education, where Canada's population with tertiary education is 60% (one of highest in world BTW), USA 50%. (Note that the OECD 'upper secondary' is somewhat higher in the USA, but that's precisely the 10% higher level in tertiary, i.e. this chart must total to 100%).

Second, USA has by policy or geography or history or whatever ended up with very different (worse) educational attainment by immigrants:
https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/regional-economist/second-quarter-2017/comparing-income-education-and-job-data-for-immigrants-vs-those-born-in-us

https://www.cmec.ca/Publications/Lists/Publications/Attachments/375/PIAAC 2012 Immigrants Canada Final EN.pdf
(On this second one, look at page 12).

[Warning, these publications' classification of education, domestic terminology in USA and Canada, do not precisely correspond to OECD terminology - caution about comparisons between these studies. The OECD data is good for comparing between countries, the domestic data is perfectly fine in my view for comparing relative educational backgrounds of natives/immigrants.]

Short bits that jump out: over 27% of immigrants in USA do not have high school educations (compared to under 10% for the native born pop). Immigrants to USA edge out native-born only in one educational group, graduate degree (higher tertiary). In sum: the USA imports a lot of undereducated workers and a smallish group of PhDs.

Canada? Look for yourselves, but basically immigrants are better educated than native-born. (Note that wage gap studies are, I believe, almost always like-for-like education/skills, so the wage gap does not necessarily mean that immigrants make less overall than native born as a group).

If you believe the various studies and copmarisons that have been done:
-USA has basically made a choice to have the poorest, working class bear the brunt of the competition with low-skilled immigrant labour (and therefore preferring to protect the interests of the professional class by relatively restricting their competition with foreigners).
-Canada has made the opposite choice, roughly speaking (with a LOT of caveats here, like skilled professional labour are generally better able to protect their niches and professional advantages - still, numbers put pressure on their relative wages).*

This has obvious implications for a wide variety of social and economic issues, go at it from whatever perspective you like.

But the most obvious of these by far is the impact on equality - overall, it's going to mean less wage divergence. (And equality then has a big impact on a variety of other measures like health, education, social cohesion, and others). But simple example is that the minimum wage is generally higher in Canada.

Now if you wish to frame this as Canada deceiving high-skilled immigrants and putting them to work driving rickshaws, sure - we all know it's severely exaggerated nonsense.

But are there implications about what Canada's policies are for preferring highly educated/skilled workers? Yep. Big ones. They're mostly (in my view) better for everyone, better for the country, better for the children of immigrants, etc. It does have some distributional impacts (relative impacts on different socioeconomic groups), some will do better than others - that's true for ANY economic policy.

*Note, this 'comparative immigration policy from econ/labour class perspective' summation by me is much simplified - in particular, it's possible that there is no negative distributional impact between the high-skilled, but only between high and low-skilled. Or in simple terms, a lot of low skilled immigrants distributes income upwards, lots of high skilled levels them out - basically the definition of something leading to higher equality. It does NOT follow from this that more high-skilled immigration means (in absolute terms) lower incomes for other high-skilled - the crucial quesiton being what we are comparing to (no/low immigration, high immigration of low skilled, or high immigration of high skilled). [Implicitly comparisons here tend to be between different countries in simple wages-to-immigrants which is another whole kettle of fish of factors to consider]

It's a far more complex topic because the labour market for the skilled is NOT remotely like the simplistic view that you just need a better 'matching algorithm' aka CanGosPlan. As an example, the educated/skilled may face a bigger 'search penalty' when looking for employment precisely like their previous job, and even a penalty salary-wise if they are forced to change their field/sub-speciality - BUT that difference might well disappear over a period of a couple of years. There are a zillion other nuances - skilled/educated start more companies, move more, may go for more education, etc - which mean short-term data might contradict long-term.

Whereas - in comparison - unskilled labour sort of takes the wage it's offered and doesn't search for a wage premium suited to its education/skill level.[I'm keeping this super-short because 'unskilled' is often not really the case - the jobs can require a lot of skills and knowledge. But in the most reductive definition, low or unskilled possibly just means labour that gets little to no wage premium for its skills and knowledge, i.e. even a skilled worker could change fields/tasks without taking much of a wage hit.]

[Apologies, I know this has gone off topic by not just making random unfounded vituperative and tendentious claims, and actually referencing data sources.]

Reactions: canuck78

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Your premise of "PR often needs to take up survival jobs" is grossly over-exagerrated. Do you only have anecdotal evidence or there is data to support your arguments?
Please don't point out just articles, give me % if you have any please. Reply only with data that proves your point if the problem is as big as you say it is.
Speaking of proof, why don't you cease straw man arguments & expressing your own personal views? Why not bring instead some tangible proof of your own, like actual data/statistics with % of skilled PRs admitted, which percentage got employed within 6 months, 1 yr or 3 yrs after landing, was their employment related to their specialty or were they doing survival jobs 6 mo, 1 yr and 3 yrs after landing and etc.? If you are so data prone,, let's see first what data and proof you have.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Why don't you cease straw man arguments & expressing your own personal views? Why not bring instead some tangible proof of your own, like actual data/statistics with % of skilled PRs admitted, which percentage got employed in 6 months, 1 yr and 3 yr after landing, was their employment related to their specialty or were they doing survival jobs 6 mo, 1 yr and more after landing? So, let's see first what data and proof you have.
My study group in university had a way to settle such disputes. The rule was, the one who made the most outrageous claim had to provide data and sources for the others to adjudicate. In case of any dispute about who made the most outrageous claim, simple hand vote of those who cared to raise their hands.

As fair trade in rhetoric, the respondent would be provided the opportunity to formulate a statement which the data purports to support. The only requirement is that the statement must be falsifiable (data could be provided that would show the statement is false).

As fair trade in debate, the loser would be, ahem, mocked. Those such challenged who refused to respond were just ignored as tendentious twits.

I submit the most outrageous claim so far is yours: "... here is serious policy flaw if you consider macro-economic conditions in Canada, and the false hope given by misleading allegationand propaganda, which results in 400,000 desperate PRs coming to Canada and then starting a rat race to clean toilets with MBA's in their pockets and years of experience working for leading companies in their field..."

Please either provide your response, or identify IndianBros' claim more outrageous than your own, or do shut up.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
I don't want to use the vulgar language, but it appears that certain individuals on my ignore list, whom I will not dignify with direct replies, pull the "rules" of argument out of their a-s-s-e-s (I mean donkeys, wink-wink).

The only accepted rule of argument is: whoever makes the positive assertion has obligation to prove it. And it's governed by rules of logic. Truth is not determined by democratic votes. If it was, Giordano Bruno would still be burned at stakes today and we would all insist that Earth is flat. Majority vote means nothing when it comes to truth.

Anywho... If anyone who is not an ignoramus and is not on my ignore list wants to chime in, please feel free to do so. Those on my ignore list can stick it where the Sun never shines.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The only accepted rule of argument is: whoever makes the positive assertion has obligation to prove it.
Excellent that you accept the proposition that someone making an assertion has the obligation to prove it.

Here's your assertion, as stated:
"... here is serious policy flaw if you consider macro-economic conditions in Canada, and the false hope given by misleading allegationand propaganda, which results in 400,000 desperate PRs coming to Canada and then starting a rat race to clean toilets with MBA's in their pockets and years of experience working for leading companies in their field..."

Awaiting your 'proof'.