+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Cards were taken at the POE !!

HassanS

Jun 5, 2013
Hi,
me and my family were issued PRTD - R1 category (although we applied based on H&C reasons) , when we entered Canada via Toronto , the immigration officer took our expired PR and gave us a strong comment and recommendation after reviewing our PRTD : " You are so lucky to get the PRTD, stay two years out of five to maintain your RO"

i asked him if we should apply to renew cards immediately , he answered that we should contact or call CIC !!
I called the CIC this morning and after many tries finally got an answer, they asked me what did the officer tell you ?!! I said to call you guys and they said that I must meet the RO before applying for new PR's!!!

I need the PR renewed , because my daughter is going to college and she needs a SIN card. I tried to get one for her today and they didn't accept the landing paper from back 2010 they said it was too old and that I must show them a valid PR !!!??

Now what must I do , should I apply for PR renewal or stay for 2 years then apply? What other papers that can prove my status as a PR beside a PR card that I can use for work, SIN card issuance , healthcare , Driver license issuance !?

Please advice!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Since your PR TD was approved, that most likely means your H&C reason was accepted even though you got R-1 coding and not RC-1 which should be used for H&C PRTDs.

This has actually happened to many people on this forum. No idea why R-1 coding is used so often in H&C PRTDs.

Anyways a few other posters have successfully renewed their PR cards after arriving in Canada in your situation. To me it really doesn't make sense IRCC would grant you a PR TD then demand you go through difficulty to stay in Canada for 2 years before you can renew a PR card.

If it was me, I would apply for PR card renewal immediately, including all the same H&C reasons you used to get your PR TD, and ensure you are explaining that PR TD was recently approved on H&C basis.