+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Card

FredCanada

Aug 16, 2014
I have been reading many posts here that state that it is ok to let your PR Card expire as you "only" need it for travelling. If this is true then how to your prove your status for being in Canada when you need to say renew your health card or driving license. When you apply for university they also require you to show some proof as a Canadian PR.

How can you do this if your PR Card has expired? I am confused

Best Regards

Fred

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Because by all rights, all you should have to show them is your COPR. That is all the proof you SHOULD need to prove your PR status inside of Canada. The sad truth is that due to function creep, many of the very things you have listed demand to see your current up to date PR card to renew.

In answer to your question. I suppose one could show their COPR and state there is no law that requires you to have a PR card to renew your health, only that you prove you are a PR and the COPR does just that.

FredCanada

Aug 16, 2014
Thanks for the quick response

I have checked that for license renewal you need only one primary & one secondary ID. The existing license is a primary ID and the existing health card is a secondary ID. You can use the PR card as a primary ID but it must not have expired.

So it might be true that you "ONLY" really need your PR card to travel.

For all other purposes, there are other documents one could produce. So the COPR should suffice as proof of status....I think

jccllagas

May 1, 2018
Hi! We'recurrently here in Manila, Philippines and my wife and daughter's PR card were expired and we already have a flight going back to Canada 4 weeks from now. We filed a renewal in Canada before we left thinking there would be an ample time to get it before we go back. Unfortunately, when we checked the website it will take longer than what we have expected. I would like to ask what is the best thing to do to be able to re enter again in Canada?

Thank you very much.

Jajaja08

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
Hi! We'recurrently here in Manila, Philippines and my wife and daughter's PR card were expired and we already have a flight going back to Canada 4 weeks from now. We filed a renewal in Canada before we left thinking there would be an ample time to get it before we go back. Unfortunately, when we checked the website it will take longer than what we have expected. I would like to ask what is the best thing to do to be able to re enter again in Canada?

Thank you very much.
Apply for prtd..

Jajaja08

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
Thank you! God bless! Also, how long is the processing of PRTD? Can I go directly to the embassy to submit all the documents because i dont want to go over of doing it again if I missed a thing.
No, you have to apply at the Visa office.