+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card-Child-Residency Violation-Want to return for University

aloma367

Jun 12, 2019
Hello, so I have an invalid PR card that was made on August 4, 2013 (it's expired now). The plan was to live there with my family but my dad was unable to find work there so we returned back to Saudi. I was 11 at that time so of course I had to leave with my family. Im 17 now (still a minor) and recently graduated high school and received an offer at McMaster University. I want to return to Canada to continue my studies but I'm unable to do that with an expired PR card and to renew it I need to be in Canada, but I also don't meet the Residency Obligations (RO). I have done a lot of research and from what I understand I have two options: either apply for PRTD or go to Canada via US. I want to know which would be the best option for my situation or if there are other better options. Also I want to know what are my chances at humanitarian and compassionate grounds.Thank you.

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Given your age, you may be able to get a PRTD on H&C for being removed as a minor. There have been however several recent incidents on the forum where those applications have been refused as there were virtually no ties to Canada previously (essentially the parents landed and then left in attempt to secure their child's future options). The only definite way to find out is to apply. How long were your parents in Canada before the returned home? Did they get you a SIN number?

aloma367

Jun 12, 2019
Given your age, you may be able to get a PRTD on H&C for being removed as a minor. There have been however several recent incidents on the forum where those applications have been refused as there were virtually no ties to Canada previously (essentially the parents landed and then left in attempt to secure their child's future options). The only definite way to find out is to apply. How long were your parents in Canada before the returned home? Did they get you a SIN number?
We all arrived there at the same time on August 4, 2013 and left August 26, 2013. It was sort of a summer vacation. And yes I do have a SIN number.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
We all arrived there at the same time on August 4, 2013 and left August 26, 2013. It was sort of a summer vacation. And yes I do have a SIN number.
Given the short time that you spent in Canada, I think you ought to go via the US and explain things in person at the border. You're very young and have gotten into a good University in Canada, so you have a good chance of getting a sympathetic officer who'll let you in without reporting you.

Make sure you are well prepared when he asks you why you should be admitted without losing your PR. Stress on the fact that you were a child when you left, and that you really want to make Canada your home - and that's why you applied and were admitted to McMasters. Or any other reasons you can come up with that make sense in your personal situation.

Applying for a PRTD becomes a bit soulless since it's just a paper application.

Of course there are no guarantees. You may get a unsympathetic officer as well. However, on balance, I would go in person.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you have a us visa? That can be a stumbling block for people.

Love when families try to say the couldn't find employment after a few weeks (or less) and guarantee they already had return tickets. It is very obvious what is happening. Both domestic and international students should be protesting this and it is far from a secret these days.

aloma367

Jun 12, 2019
Do you have a us visa? That can be a stumbling block for people.

Love when families try to say the couldn't find employment after a few weeks (or less) and guarantee they already had return tickets. It is very obvious what is happening. Both domestic and international students should be protesting this and it is far from a secret these days.
I am getting a US visa very soon. Your second statement was uncalled for. FIrst of I was 11. Second my dad was not looking for a job during those few weeks but over the two years that had passed since we got the PR card. My brother returned two years later to continue his studies and has been living there for 4 years now. The plan was to return with him but my dad is a physician and had several interviews for several medical related opportunities but they didn't work out. The opportunities were also not any better than the job he already had. Thank you.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am getting a US visa very soon. Your second statement was uncalled for. FIrst of I was 11. Second my dad was not looking for a job during those few weeks but over the two years that had passed since we got the PR card. My brother returned two years later to continue his studies and has been living there for 4 years now. The plan was to return with him but my dad is a physician and had several interviews for several medical related opportunities but they didn't work out. The opportunities were also not any better than the job he already had. Thank you.
Anyone trying to find a job in Canada knows that it is almost impossible to secure employment from abroad. Foreign physicians also would know that it is not usually feasible to practice medicine in Canada and when applying to immigrate would likely have to start a new career. You are trying to secure a domestic tuition rates without meeting your RO and your family not contributing to the tax base. Canadians pay taxes so they get access to lower fees. You can't expect those who have met the RO and paid taxes to be thrilled if you are trying to pay domestic fees. I am sure international students would be shocked that they have to pay much higher fees yet both of you have not spent any significant time in Canada or contributed to the tax base.

aloma367

Jun 12, 2019
Anyone trying to find a job in Canada knows that it is almost impossible to secure employment from abroad. Foreign physicians also would know that it is not usually feasible to practice medicine in Canada and when applying to immigrate would likely have to start a new career. You are trying to secure a domestic tuition rates without meeting your RO and your family not contributing to the tax base. Canadians pay taxes so they get access to lower fees. You can't expect those who have met the RO and paid taxes to be thrilled if you are trying to pay domestic fees. I am sure international students would be shocked that they have to pay much higher fees yet both of you have not spent any significant time in Canada or contributed to the tax base.
It wasn't feasible to move and live in Canada unpaid for several years whilst supporting a family with a son attending university. Both my parents and brother have filed for and paid taxes for every year we've had the PR card. It's not about taxes, the significantly decreased tuition rates are important, and the opportunity in Canada is much better for people like me. I intend to start a life in Canada, and make it my home. I don't have any 'home' as I've been away from my country of origin my entire life, and the country we currently reside in will not allow me to stay since I'm not a passport holder of that country. I'm not here to defend my self, if you don't have any positive input that actually address my questions then kindly leave the post.

Last edited:

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Given the short time that you spent in Canada, I think you ought to go via the US and explain things in person at the border. You're very young and have gotten into a good University in Canada, so you have a good chance of getting a sympathetic officer who'll let you in without reporting you.

Make sure you are well prepared when he asks you why you should be admitted without losing your PR. Stress on the fact that you were a child when you left, and that you really want to make Canada your home - and that's why you applied and were admitted to McMasters. Or any other reasons you can come up with that make sense in your personal situation.

Applying for a PRTD becomes a bit soulless since it's just a paper application.

Of course there are no guarantees. You may get a unsympathetic officer as well. However, on balance, I would go in person.
Even if the OP by luck get in, without a valid PR Card, he will not be able to obtain any government services for a few years. No OHIP, no driver licence, even the university might not let him enroll.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Even if the OP by luck get in, without a valid PR Card, he will not be able to obtain any government services for a few years. No OHIP, no driver licence, even the university might not let him enroll.
No, not necessarily. He is a Permanent Resident of Canada if he's allowed in with no report, and he is entitled to these services. Yes, he may have to do some more paperwork, but they cannot simply deny him.

The card is not the same thing as status.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It wasn't feasible to move and live in Canada unpaid for several years whilst supporting a family with a son attending university. Both my parents and brother have filed for and paid taxes for every year we've had the PR card. It's not about taxes, the significantly decreased tuition rates are important, and the opportunity in Canada is much better for people like me. I intend to start a life in Canada, and make it my home. I don't have any 'home' as I've been away from my country of origin my entire life, and the country we currently reside in will not allow me to stay since I'm not a passport holder of that country. I'm not here to defend my self, if you don't have any positive input that actually address my questions then kindly leave the post.
Tip; everyone has the right to post their opinions, one of the things you get when posting your situation on a public forum.

Last edited: