+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Permanent Resident Card

oceanray

Nov 19, 2021
Hi, my name is Ray. My PR card has been expired for more than 10 years. Am I still available to apply for citizenship?
What would you recommend I do in this situation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, my name is Ray. My PR card has been expired for more than 10 years. Am I still available to apply for citizenship?
What would you recommend I do in this situation?
Start with the basics.

Are you living out of Canada and have been for the last five years? Then no.

If it's expired but you've been resding in Canada all this time - then probably yes.

oceanray

Nov 19, 2021
Yes. I have been living in Canada for all those years. I was dealing with mental health issues.
I am now through it and ready to set things right.

Probably? I hope so.

oceanray

Nov 19, 2021
Start with the basics.

Are you living out of Canada and have been for the last five years? Then no.

If it's expired but you've been resding in Canada all this time - then probably yes.
Yes. I have been living in Canada for all those years. I was dealing with mental health issues.

Probably? I hope so.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Probably? I hope so.
You can apply for citizenship. You don't need to have a valid PR card to apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you

I was worried because it has been more than 10 years. I thought that will affect my application.
The expired PR card isn't an issue.

Hopefully you've been filing your tax returns annually.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Probably? I hope so.
Yes, if living in Canada and hence you have the three plus years in last five in-country, you can apply- the PR card itself doesn't affect it. My 'probably' was only referring to the other criteria (which you seem to know about).

Note, citizenship applications seem to be taking a long time; if you have any plans to travel, you should apply for a PR card as well, you'd hopefully get that faster.

You can find out more info on the citizenship application route and questions in this sub-forum:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/citizenship.12/

oceanray

Nov 19, 2021
Yes, if living in Canada and hence you have the three plus years in last five in-country, you can apply- the PR card itself doesn't affect it. My 'probably' was only referring to the other criteria (which you seem to know about).

Note, citizenship applications seem to be taking a long time; if you have any plans to travel, you should apply for a PR card as well, you'd hopefully get that faster.

You can find out more info on the citizenship application route and questions in this sub-forum:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/citizenship.12/
Will do. Thank you so much for response

Reactions: armoured