+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Pemament Resident Card

lord_ams

Sep 8, 2007
Hello,
My Permenent Residents Card will expire soon. My question is will I be allowed to work or study while it is expired, or will an expired card mean that I lost my residense status? and is the PRC important for anything else than travelling??

I am currently living in toronto and I am thinking of applying for a masters degree.

Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lord_ams said:
Hello,
My Permenent Residents Card will expire soon. My question is will I be allowed to work or study while it is expired, or will an expired card mean that I lost my residense status? and is the PRC important for anything else than travelling??

I am currently living in toronto and I am thinking of applying for a masters degree.

Thank you
Assuming you have maintained your PR status, you don't actually need a PR card, if don't ever intend to leave Canada. Apply for a new one.

PMM

ronline

Jun 26, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

Assuming you have maintained your PR status, you don't actually need a PR card, if don't ever intend to leave Canada. Apply for a new one.

PMM
Is this rule still valid ?

The bellow quote from cic states that you should apply for PRC if you have a PR card that has expired or will expire in less than nine months.
They don't mention how long the card may be expired but it is clearly indicated that the card holder should anticipate the renewal process.

cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp

You should only apply for a PR card if:
you did not get a PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada;
you have a PR card that has expired or will expire in less than nine months;
you have a PR card that has been lost, stolen, or destroyed; or
you have legally changed your name and need to update the name on your PR card.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
ronline said:

The bellow quote from cic states that you should apply for PRC if you have a PR card that has expired or will expire in less than nine months.
They don't mention how long the card may be expired but it is clearly indicated that the card holder should anticipate the renewal process.

Still valid and why should it not be given it is still an individuals responsibility to ensure they keep any government required documentation in date whether needed on a regular basis or not.

Having an expired PR card does not affect your work or study rights but can cause problems if you ever want to leave the country as you need a valid card or a PRTD. Depends on the institution I guess but having a valid PR card might be less hassle when enrolling as a domestic student for domestic fees.

Also be aware that only PR cards expire, PR status never expires and can only be renounced or in some situations such as failing RO revoked.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
ronline said:

The PR CARD is only needed to come back to Canada if u travel abroad.

The card is usually used as proof of PR but if expired doesn't mean your PR status is lost. You still being a PR "for ever" unless CIC revoke it

Note It's strongly recommended to apply for citizenship to forget about PR cards