+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired passport

Oye1954

Sep 19, 2020
I sponsored my husband for his pR application. Recently he received a letter from IRCC requesting him to provide a valid passport. His passport was seized when he claimed asylum and currently expired. At this point we are confused as he doesn't have valid PP to provide. Please does anyone has information/advise to offer.

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
I sponsored my husband for his pR application. Recently he received a letter from IRCC requesting him to provide a valid passport. His passport was seized when he claimed asylum and currently expired. At this point we are confused as he doesn't have valid PP to provide. Please does anyone has information/advise to offer.
It sounds like you and your husband are both already in Canada? What was the occasion for the letter - renewal of a PR card, for instance? How long has it been since he claimed asylum/was it granted?

Most likely, you need to write back to IRCC and explain why he doesn't have one and where his expired one is, and provide a copy if you can. But others here will know more if you give us some more information.

Oye1954

Sep 19, 2020
Thanks so much, we are both already in Canada. We landed together and claimed asylum. Luckily, after our hearing in 2019, I was accepted as protected refugee and he was denied. Currently, I applied for initial PR in September 2019 as the principal applicant including they family hence the letter from IRCC.

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Thanks so much, we are both already in Canada. We landed together and claimed asylum. Luckily, after our hearing in 2019, I was accepted as protected refugee and he was denied. Currently, I applied for initial PR in September 2019 as the principal applicant including they family hence the letter from IRCC.
Your situation might be complex/tenuous enough that you should contact a consultant or attorney. I'm not qualified at all to say how IRCC will handle this. Possibly someone else here can help; all I know is that if you can't get a new passport, you should at least explain why. I have no idea what will happen otherwise.

Bukols

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Write to cic via webform, explaining why he can’t renew his passport. If you have a copy of his seizure form, please include it.

nov/28/19

Aug 19, 2020
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-11-2019
AOR Received.
28-01-2020
Write to cic via webform, explaining why he can’t renew his passport. If you have a copy of his seizure form, please include it.
What is that gonna do?are they waiving the passport requirements?

Apr 16, 2019
My wife is a PR. Her passport is getting expired in Dec' 21 (expiry due in 10 months)
She is traveling to Toronto on 9th April' 21 as well.
Now I have 2 ways to go about it-

1) If I get her passport renewed in India-

Will she be able to re-enter Canada with the old passport with her maiden name + PR card with her maiden name + new passport with the changed name?

2) if we DONOT renew it in India-

and she has to get her ticket postponed to say June for some reason (mostly COVID/to avoid institutional quarantine)
will she be allowed to travel with her passport that is due to expire in under 6 months keeping in mind her PR status.