+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired passport

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
All,

if i have an expired passport and no renewed one - will they accept or retunr the application?

They ask for all passports and the only one I have is the one which was expired 2 months ago - will they return this? or it should be ok?

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
toronto_man said:
All,

if i have an expired passport and no renewed one - will they accept or retunr the application?

They ask for all passports and the only one I have is the one which was expired 2 months ago - will they return this? or it should be ok?
Send them photocopy of your expire passport with cover letter that it's your only passport. Cover letter is important additional step. You will be fine.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
toronto_man said:
All,

IF you are applying under old 3/4 rule and if there is a duration in past 4 relevant years that is not covered with your passport then you need to write on a cover letter stating that the passport was never renewed from mm-dd-yyyy to mm-dd-yyyy. As you said you only have one passport then mention that as well.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toronto_man said:
All,

Of course they will accept. They want your passports to see your stamps and biograph. identification, they don't ask you to send a valid passport.

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
Do it man, attached with your application letter just like Thecoolguysam said. I had the same situation but my passport was expired for 22 years. Wrap it up and drop of your package at FED-EX Monday morning.

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
Holy crap on the cracker, I landed on Montréal-Mirabel airport on march of 1991 and my passport expired on may 1991. That's 24 years ago.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wd1 said:
Holy crap on the cracker, I landed on Montréal-Mirabel airport on march of 1991 and my passport expired on may 1991. That's 24 years ago.
You're old.

Kunglao

Sep 30, 2020
Hello Everyone,
I applied for a canadian work permit in Hanoi, Vietnam last Dec 2021, I'm from Nigeria, living and working in Hanoi for the past 5 years and my passport has been requested by the Canadian Embassy for a visa, my passport expired just two months ago. And because of the pandemic situation, I have not been able to renew it where I currently reside, my country's embassy in Ottawa has a passport desk and I can get my passport renewed in 2 weeks or less. Flying back to my home country to get my passport renewed will take almost 5 weeks. Does anyone know if IRCC can issue a visa on my expired passport with a letter of explanation? Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I applied for a canadian work permit in Hanoi, Vietnam last Dec 2021, I'm from Nigeria, living and working in Hanoi for the past 5 years and my passport has been requested by the Canadian Embassy for a visa, my passport expired just two months ago. And because of the pandemic situation, I have not been able to renew it where I currently reside, my country's embassy in Ottawa has a passport desk and I can get my passport renewed in 2 weeks or less. Flying back to my home country to get my passport renewed will take almost 5 weeks. Does anyone know if IRCC can issue a visa on my expired passport with a letter of explanation? Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation
I don't think so. What IRCC can do though is provide you with additional time to submit a valid passport. Write to IRCC and let them know you need additional time to get your passport renewed and it is likely they will grant that request.

Good luck.

xhalae

Jul 20, 2017
Thanks. I think asking for a time extension will be the best option.
Hi, did you get an extension on this? I'm in the same situation and my Nigerian Passport hasn't arrived yet because the embassy don't have booklets. Can I apply and get an extension because my passport expires soon