+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired passport and PR card before becoming Canadian citizenship

Twilight_Forever

Star Member
May 2, 2015
Hello guys,

I have a couple of questions.

I scheduled to have a Canadian citizenship ceremony on March 17 but, as you know, it got cancelled.
Because of the cancellation, I have something to think about.
My passport from my home country will be expired at the end of May and my PR card will be expired early August.
Since we don't know for sure with this COVID-19 pandemic situation when IRCC will start to host ceremonies again,
should I renew my passport and PR card? or I can just wait with the expired passport and PR card for the ceremony?

FYI, I don't have any plan on going out of Canada until I got Canadian Citizenship.

Thank you for reading and replying in advance. :)
Stay safe.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would personally renew your passport. You never know if you might for some reason need to travel. I think it's important to always have a valid passport.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys,

I scheduled to have a Canadian citizenship ceremony on March 17 but, as you know, it got cancelled.
My passport from my home country will be expired at the end of May and my PR card will be expired early August.
Since we don't know for sure with this COVID-19 pandemic situation when IRCC will start to host ceremonies again,
should I renew my passport and PR card? or I can just wait with the expired passport and PR card for the ceremony?

FYI, I don't have any plan on going out of Canada until I got Canadian Citizenship.

Stay safe.
You don’t need to renew anything for the citizenship application or ceremony. PR status doesn’t expire, only the card. So if you don’t have any intentions to travel, then you don’t need to renew anything.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello guys,

Stay safe.
You don't need to renew anything for the citizenship app but I agree with scylla that a person should always have a valid passport, particularly if they have family/connections outside Canada that may require urgent travel.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
what prevents you from renewing your passport and PR card? I don't see any point of not doing that.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

what prevents you from renewing your passport and PR card? I don't see any point of not doing that.
1. Maybe the OP would rather keep the money in his/her pocket, rather than paying for something that s/he may not need in a couple of months?

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Hi

1. Maybe the OP would rather keep the money in his/her pocket, rather than paying for something that s/he may not need in a couple of months?
PR card renewal is only $50 and passport renewal is usually $100-$200 for most countries I think...