+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired open work permit and passport at the same time

emilineyap

Jun 6, 2014
hi,im new here,i don't where am I going to post,so I just click the reply button Wink

I hope you could help or enlighten me about my problem..

I just received my open work permit today June 6, 2014

application PR/OPW received CIC:march 6,2014
date issued OPW:may 29,2014
received OPW:june 6,2014
expiry date:JULY 13,2014

passport expired: JULY 13,2014 also

this is my problem,my open work permit and passport is going to expire on JULY 13,2014
but I already applied for renewal for my passport last june 5,2014(it took 2 months for me wait to got an appointment date)
right now the processing time of the passport is 8weeks...so probably I would received my new passport by 1st week of august 2014,by then my open work permit is already expired and passport...and it stated on my OPW,have to leave by july 13,2014
what shall I do...honestly it did not crossmind my mind,that the expiration date for my open work permit,will be base also on the expiration date of my passport(I was so ignorant or just no idea about this)...if I only knew,before I apply for my PR/OPW,i should have renewed my passport first..so now im facing this problem...
hope you enlighten me about this...I hope I have stated my problem or concern clearly to you...

thank you
em

vikramviks95

Oct 3, 2012
You will have to call CIC customer care and ask them this question..

I guess when you applied for your renewal, they took your original passport.. so leaving country and coming back isnt an option..

Once you get the passport back.. you will have to re-apply for the work permit and TRV.

Check with the passport authorities if they can expedite the renewal process.. every Consulate provides this facility. sometimes for an additional cost.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
emilineyap said:
hi,im new here,i don't where am I going to post,so I just click the reply button Wink

this is my problem,my open work permit and passport is going to expire on JULY 13,2014
but I already applied for renewal for my passport last june 5,2014(it took 2 months for me wait to got an appointment date)
right now the processing time of the passport is 8weeks...so probably I would received my new passport by 1st week of august 2014,by then my open work permit is already expired and passport...and it stated on my OPW,have to leave by july 13,2014
what shall I do...honestly it did not crossmind my mind,that the expiration date for my open work permit,will be base also on the expiration date of my passport(I was so ignorant or just no idea about this)...if I only knew,before I apply for my PR/OPW,i should have renewed my passport first..so now im facing this problem...
hope you enlighten me about this...I hope I have stated my problem or concern clearly to you...

thank you
em
Well, first things first. What country are you from that you had to make an appointment with them to apply for a new passport? Have you applied for PR and included an OWP with you application?

Rocky_bombastic

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Regina-SK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17th May '13
Doc's Request.
25th Nov '13
Nomination.....
11th Oct '13
AOR Received.
29th Dec '13 ( ECAS update to Application recieved on 12th Nov '13)
File Transfer...
RPRF request 15-May-2014
Med's Request
30th Dec '13
Med's Done....
07th Jan '14
Interview........
IN PROCESS ---> 2nd June '14. --- Decision made---> 23rd June '14
Passport Req..
July 3rd 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 15th 2014
LANDED..........
18th July 2014---> PR card received Sep 8th 2014
emilineyap said:

thank you
em
Hello emilineyap

Dont worry that is normal they only issue workpermit based on the validity of your passport. Once you get your new passport you can reapply for the work permit. Also write a cover letter and explain that to the officer and they will give you the work permit of the remaining time ( ie if you were originally eligible for a 3 year permit and they give you 1 year due to passport expiry you will get 2 years permit when you apply).
About your eligibility to work or stay in canada is something that I am not sure about and is best if you call them directly about it.