+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired OHIP - Baby Delivery

amerchant

Oct 3, 2017
Dear all,
I am a Canadian, however I work and live in the UAE. I am in early stages of the pregnancy, however, am trying to figure out what to do with baby delivery:

Option 1: Deliver in Canada. However, my OHIP expired years ago. I understand it will take 3 months at least to get the insurance back, but apart from citizenship card and passport, I do not have the supporting documentation - e.g. Drivers License, Utility Bill or a Bank Account. What can be done here to get the OHIP back?

Option 2: Deliver in the UAE. Since the country here does not give passports to any babies born in UAE, the baby has to get the nationality of the parents. In our case, I am a Canadian and my husband is a Pakistani. Of course, we want the baby to get Canadian passport via its mom, i.e. me. Any idea how can I do this?

Thanks in advance to all those who would respond!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can only help you with Option #1. To get OHIP back, you need to return to Canada and live in Canada for three months to establish residency. During those three months, you will have time to get a drivers license / bank account that will allow you to apply for OHIP again. You'll need to make sure you remain in Canada for a number of months after giving birth - otherwise Ontario will come after you for the costs of the health care you used + penalties. I would recommend you remain in Canada for at least 5 months after giving birth to avoid this problem.

amerchant

Oct 3, 2017
I can only help you with Option #1. To get OHIP back, you need to return to Canada and live in Canada for three months to establish residency. During those three months, you will have time to get a drivers license / bank account that will allow you to apply for OHIP again. You'll need to make sure you remain in Canada for a number of months after giving birth - otherwise Ontario will come after you for the costs of the health care you used + penalties. I would recommend you remain in Canada for at least 5 months after giving birth to avoid this problem.
So in total, do i have to live for 8 months?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - that's what you should plan for at a minimum. Three months to meet the residency requirement to qualify for OHIP. And then another five moths to meet the residency requirements to keep OHIP coverage.

Or, alternatively, if you just want the baby born in Canada - pay for all of the costs related to the pregnancy and birth of the child yourself (i.e. don't use OHIP).

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Dear all,
I am a Canadian, however I work and live in the UAE. I am in early stages of the pregnancy, however, am trying to figure out what to do with baby delivery:

Option 1: Deliver in Canada. However, my OHIP expired years ago. I understand it will take 3 months at least to get the insurance back, but apart from citizenship card and passport, I do not have the supporting documentation - e.g. Drivers License, Utility Bill or a Bank Account. What can be done here to get the OHIP back?

Option 2: Deliver in the UAE. Since the country here does not give passports to any babies born in UAE, the baby has to get the nationality of the parents. In our case, I am a Canadian and my husband is a Pakistani. Of course, we want the baby to get Canadian passport via its mom, i.e. me. Any idea how can I do this?

Thanks in advance to all those who would respond!
Option 1 won't work unless you intend to live in Canada, which it doesn't sound like you do.

With regard to Option 2, you can have the baby in the U.A.E. and go to the Canadian Embassy or consulate to apply for a passport. They will give you a temporary passport (1 year validity) for the child while his/her citizenship card is processed. Once the citizenship card is ready, you can apply for a regular passport.