+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EXPIRED LANGUAGE TEST RESULTS FOR CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For future applicants wondering about using expired English test scores (e.g. IELTS), please note the following information available from CIC. Essentially, expired test results are acceptable if they have been originally used when you immigrated through the Federal class processs. You can send a copy with your citizenship application, but make sure you still have the original report with you and be prepared to present it to a CIC agent during your prospective citizenship test and interview.

The following is quoted from the CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language-step-2.asp

Acceptable language proof to apply for citizenship wizard
Step 2: Did you immigrate to Canada through a federal immigration program requiring a third-party test result for language ability? (e.g. Federal Skilled Workers, Canadian Experience Class)
If yes: Were the tests and results the following:

Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General (CELPIP-G) test, but not the academic version. You must have achieved 2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6)
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training and not the academic version. You must have achieved:
4.0 or higher in speaking, and
4.5 or higher in listening. (If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher.)
Test d'Évaluation de Français (TEF). We will accept either:
Level 3 or higher, or
B1 or higher (B2, C1 or C2).
If so, send a copy of your test results with your citizenship application, even if the results have expired.

If you have lost or need a copy of your results, contact the test provider. Do not contact CIC.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
the problem IELTS gives you only one original certificate and this one was used to apply for immigration. So I don't have the original

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
You don't need the original copy. A photocopy suffices the need.

Travel Dream said:
the problem IELTS gives you only one original certificate and this one was used to apply for immigration. So I don't have the original

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jujuberanch said:
You don't need the original copy. A photocopy suffices the need.
I did have a personal copy of the original. IELTS provides you with an official copy to CIC for immigration purposes (if you inform them when taking the test).
http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_takers_faqs/test_results.aspx

On the other hand, based on my recent test/interview experience, the CIC staff that interviewed me just checked that the photocopy of my IELTS is on file. I even offered to show the original but she said it wasn't necessary. The interview itself, once you reach that stage, is in fact an assessment of your language skills (whether its French or English), on the basis of how fluent you express yourself or comprehensible your answers are.

I just hope you kept a photocopy of the score report for yourself. GOOD LUCK.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Travel Dream said:
I do have my original. Immigration office never take the originals and if they do they return them to u when u show up for your Visa.

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called them and they said if you just have the photocopy it will serve the purpose. They don't need the original.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
Nomi2012 said:
I called them and they said if you just have the photocopy it will serve the purpose. They don't need the original.
I know they need a photocopy when you submit the application but I am afraid that they will ask about the original in the interview.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Travel Dream said:
I know they need a photocopy when you submit the application but I am afraid that they will ask about the original in the interview.
Provide a copy for now and by the time you get to the interview stage you have enough time to work something out(pass another test...) there are a lot of centers funded by CIC where you can take the test and submit the result. It doesn't have to be IELTS

akheya

Dec 3, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did u guys also submit your copy or degree or something along with expired ielts

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Provide a copy for now and by the time you get to the interview stage you have enough time to work something out(pass another test...) there are a lot of centers funded by CIC where you can take the test and submit the result. It doesn't have to be IELTS
Have you done that yourself and was the "new test" which you took after applying accepted? Or it has to be dated before submitting the citizenship application?

anuragmaneesha

Star Member
Apr 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 1st 2013
AOR Received.
Nov 19th 2013
Med's Request
April 12th 2014
Med's Done....
May 12th 2014
Passport Req..
Jun 12th 2014
Hello Nomi,
Can you please share the phone number that you reached CIC on?

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Did u guys also submit your copy or degree or something along with expired ielts
Only GENERAL Ielts accepted. If sending ACADEMIC package will be returned.

bbears27

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hi,

I sent my Canadian Language Benchmark Placement test result taken in March 2016. Will it be enough for them.

I have IELTS dated Nov 2013, should I send this too?

Thanks!