+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired IELTS for Citizenship

Miracleinme

Sep 3, 2019
Hi there, The situation is following I immigrated under Live in Caregiver program and took my IELTS test back in 2012 prior to come to Canada under LIC program. However it wasn’t required to submit English proof document to my permanent residency application.

My question is: Can I still submit original expired IELTS test results with appropriate score to my Citizenship application?

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Hi there, The situation is following I immigrated under Live in Caregiver program and took my IELTS test back in 2012 prior to come to Canada under LIC program. However it wasn’t required to submit English proof document to my permanent residency application.

My question is: Can I still submit original expired IELTS test results with appropriate score to my Citizenship application?
Simple answer..Yes, if it is IELTS Generic.
Details:
If it is IELTS after November 28, 2008 the score need to be 4.0 or higher in speaking and 4.5 or higher in listening
Before November 28, 2008 4.0 or higher in speaking and 4.0 or higher in listening
Links:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof/step-2.html

amuman

Jan 14, 2018
I submitted an expired IELTS certificate for citizenship and it was accepted. I used the same IELTS - General certificate that I used for my PR application.
Thats my concern my wife had give Ielts General for PR but we didnt use it as it was not required. So am not sure if we should just use that one.

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
Thats my concern my wife had give Ielts General for PR but we didnt use it as it was not required. So am not sure if we should just use that one.
It should be ok. Check the below link. It says you MAY send the same same third-party language test results from your immigration application with your application for citizenship. It's MAY, not SHOULD. If you're still not sure, phone IRCC. They'll confirm.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=595&top=5

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
You can use old expired IELTS scorecard! They accept it for citizenship application.

They even accept a letter from your school/college stating that your degree was in English language. You can attach both (if possible) rather than giving ielts again.

amuman

Jan 14, 2018
You can use old expired IELTS scorecard! They accept it for citizenship application.

They even accept a letter from your school/college stating that your degree was in English language. You can attach both (if possible) rather than giving ielts again.
Thank you Doom_V.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Miracleinme. Just wanted to ask if you had used expired ielts for citizenship and if so was it accepted?
We submitted our expired IELTS report for the citizenship process. It was accepted
It is mentioned in the Guide below..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#language
Results from a third-party language test
NOTE:
If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired.

amuman

Jan 14, 2018
We submitted our expired IELTS report for the citizenship process. It was accepted
It is mentioned in the Guide below..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#language
Results from a third-party language test
NOTE:
If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired.
Great. Thank you very much.