+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired COPR (issued before March 18 2020) questions

lalloum

Oct 24, 2019
Hello all,

Me and my wife were approved for PPR and issued COPR back in 2019 and our COPRs expired in Sept 2020. We were planning to travel in September 2020 but COVID happened and we couldn’t. We let IRCC know that we couldn't travel before our documents expired and got generic responses from them

We’ve started thinking of completing a soft landing after reading a few posts about successful soft landings on the forum. Note that I haven't received any email from them asking if I'm ready to move, neither have the expiry dates on my COPR changed.

But, since we have an expired COPR, we also read about the 7 pointer questions that IRCC has been asking before they decide to issue an extension to the COPRs. If I read them correctly, I don’t think they have an option where we can reasonably imply that we’re aiming for a soft landing and NOT move permanently.

I was wondering there are folks here in the community who:
- Have an expired COPR
- Are thinking or have contacted IRCC to get the new COPR
- Are going to soft land

How did you all answer the questions from IRCC?

JOW

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hello all,

Me and my wife were approved for PPR and issued COPR back in 2019 and our COPRs expired in Sept 2020. We were planning to travel in September 2020 but COVID happened and we couldn’t. We let IRCC know that we couldn't travel before our documents expired and got generic responses from them

We’ve started thinking of completing a soft landing after reading a few posts about successful soft landings on the forum. Note that I haven't received any email from them asking if I'm ready to move, neither have the expiry dates on my COPR changed.

But, since we have an expired COPR, we also read about the 7 pointer questions that IRCC has been asking before they decide to issue an extension to the COPRs. If I read them correctly, I don’t think they have an option where we can reasonably imply that we’re aiming for a soft landing and NOT move permanently.

I was wondering there are folks here in the community who:
- Have an expired COPR
- Are thinking or have contacted IRCC to get the new COPR
- Are going to soft land

How did you all answer the questions from IRCC?
- I have a CoPR issued before march 18 expired on august 1st.
- I have contacted IRCC informing I would not make it in time before copr would expire. They said it was fine and when I'm able I should raise a ready to travel web form
- I do NOT plan on soft landing

Recently IRCC stance changed and they do not want us to raise ready to travel web forms anymore. Now they want us to wait:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#expired

JOW

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
@JOW Did you get the email from IRCC? I'm assuming when you say your COPR expired on August 1st, you mean 2019?
My CoPR expired in August 2020.
I did not get any email from IRCC. I was about to raise my "ready to travel" web form and discovered I'm not supposed to anymore.
Now i'll simply have to wait their email.
I do not plan on soft landing at all.

lalloum

Oct 24, 2019
My CoPR expired in August 2020.
I did not get any email from IRCC. I was about to raise my "ready to travel" web form and discovered I'm not supposed to anymore.
Now i'll simply have to wait their email.
I do not plan on soft landing at all.
@JOW do let me know if you receive any correspondence from them. Our expiry dates are reasonably close.

JOW

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
@JOW do let me know if you receive any correspondence from them. Our expiry dates are reasonably close.
Sure, I will.
I am trying to find as much people in our situation as I can, because since now all we can do is wait to get the email, knowing who receives and the order they are sending can help at least roughly speculate some expectations regarding when will be our turn, by guessing the criteria being used. I heard only of one guy who received the email and he's expiration date was May 5th... so perhaps they are doing by order of expiry date? That would make sense...