Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
How can I bring my son who is canadian citizen to Canada with an expired passport ?
He will need to get a valid travel document.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#background

Why you must travel with a valid Canadian passport
Starting November 10, 2016, a new Government of Canada electronic system will verify that all passengers have an appropriate travel document before they can board a flight to Canada. This process will happen automatically when your travel document is scanned during check-in for your flight.

This change is part of a broader Government of Canada initiative aimed at ensuring that all Canada-bound passengers have appropriate travel documents to enter the country before they board their flight.

For Canadian citizens, including dual Canadian citizens, you must present an acceptable travel document that shows that you are a Canadian. This means you need a valid Canadian passport (or a Canadian temporary passport, or a Canadian emergency travel document) to allow airline check-in staff and border officials to confirm that you are Canadian.

A valid Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel document that provides proof that you are a citizen and have the right to enter Canada without being subjected to immigration screening. Make sure that the expiry date of the passport is well beyond your planned return date.

Also on that same page.

Find out if you are eligible for a special authorization to board your flight to Canada
You can apply for a special authorization if you:

• have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days, and
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country.
And one of the following:

• have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Your information will be verified in our electronic systems to confirm that you are a Canadian citizen. This authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel you select on the form. If you don’t use it within this time, you will need to apply for a new authorization.

The Government of Canada will perform updates to its online system from 3:30 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. ET, on February 20, 2018. The special authorization application form will not be available at that time. We apologize for the inconvenience. To apply for a special authorization, please return after 5:30 a.m. ET on February 20.

Apply for a special authorization

If you are not eligible for the special authorization
There are no quick fixes to help you get on your flight.

Contact the nearest Government of Canada office abroad to find out what your options are. Only under strict conditions and on a case-by-case basis will temporary passports or emergency travel documents be issued.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
They can have the home country issue a new passport or an emergency travel document. How long they detain them is up to them. If they feel you are a risk of disappearing, they can probably keep you as long as they want.

If they were born in the US, they aren’t stateless....they are American.

Reactions: andy.keeling

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thank you for replying! The laws in India state that they can jail a foreign national up to 5 years just for overstaying. The exit process looks way too complicated and some lawyer suggests something called as anticipatory bail under the criminal justice law in India which can prevent the indicvidual from being detained.
What if the person never renewed their US passport(renounced citizen ship) but acquired Canadian passport. I am just trying to find someone who might have gone through this before. It shouldn't be this complex for any person to return to their home country.
Well, if you are no longer a US citizen but a Canadian, then still you are not stateless. Just renew your Canadian passport.

Reactions: Buletruck

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Has anyone here heard of people getting deported on expired passport?
The immigration authorities in that country would obtain an emergency travel document before deporting the overstayer.

What will the authorities in a country like India do to a US born Canadian citizen with expired passport and birth certificate? How long will they detain a person with no criminal record other than overstay before deporting if the person is willing to buy their own ticket and pay any fines they want?
If the overstay was unintentional (exceptional circumstances such as illness) then the overstay could be 'regularized' and a penalty would be sought.

If the overstay was intentional then the FRRO will deport the person

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you for replying! The laws in India state that they can jail a foreign national up to 5 years just for overstaying. The exit process looks way too complicated and some lawyer suggests something called as anticipatory bail under the criminal justice law in India which can prevent the indicvidual from being detained.
What if the person never renewed their US passport(renounced citizen ship) but acquired Canadian passport. I am just trying to find someone who might have gone through this before. It shouldn't be this complex for any person to return to their home country.
1. How long have you overstayed in India? And the reasons for the overstay?

2. Has your case been picked up by the FRRO?

3. Not sure why you feel that the exit process is complicated. It isn't. Unless I'm mistaken, you don't need an anticipatory bail. Under what sections of the Indian law does your lawyer intend to get an anticipatory bail for an overstay?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
1. Overstayed about 2.5 years. Intentional overstay as I thought I will not want to return home in future. My friends here suggested they won't try to locate me if I don't want to return which is kind of true.
In that case, your overstay won't be condoned or regularized. It was an intentional overstay well beyond the 3 months normally considered for regularization.

2. This I am not sure about but no contact has been made with me or maybe they are just unsure of my location.
Do try not to break the law in any way in the meanwhile. For example, driving without a valid license... or even something like trying to rent a new place (police verification would be required).

My passport expired almost over a year ago.
As your passport expired more than a year ago, you need to apply for a new passport. You cannot renew your passport,

After doing my research, I have concluded that I am still a Canadian citizen even with an expired passport and based on my birth certificate (born in the states), I will be considered a US citizen too.
Do try contacting any Canadian consular office in India for advice. Here:
https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/embassies-consulates/india

3. The lawyers here are all about money and they try to scare you to give in to their scheme. I was told by one of them that I could be jailed for up to 5 years for overstaying which I actually researched and found to be true.
Yes, it is true that an overstay can result in getting jailed for up to 5 years. That is mostly in extreme cases.

But, the fear of being jailed should not stop you from trying to leave India asap. Don't try to prolong your stay as that would worsen matters. And, you need to leave in a clean/clear way as possible.

After you get your passport, you would need to apply for an exit visa.

My biggest fear is ending up in a prison let alone in a foreign country for an offence like overstaying a visa. It sounds ridiculous! Reading about all this makes me hesitant to even reach out to the embassy to seek help.
You did violate visa rules, but as long as you did not commit any offence, you should be fine.

I recommend you contact a Canadian embassy/High Commission in New Delhi or any other office that's nearest to where you are

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah. Reaching out to the embassy while hoping for the best is probably my only option. I wonder if I should contact US or Canadian embassy though. From what I am learning, if you have American embassy on your case, the authorities here go a little easy on you. I have grown extremely homesick. :(
Thanks a lot for your time!
Canadian consular office

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hey,
I just wanted to take time to thank you for the reassuring words when I came here hurting. I have been issued a white passport and would be flying home soon. This week was a nightmare but gotta admit, it actually was easier than I had imagined. Dealing with embassy was super easy but the latter pretty darn frustrating.
Thanks again!
Perfect. So glad your ordeal will be ending soon. Happy for you :)

Some other advice:
1. Don't blindly trust the advice given by your friends. Visa violations and overstays can have serious repercussions. Talk to people who are qualified/experienced if you're in doubt.

2. Don't attempt to return to India (or even Nepal for that matter) for several years. You would want to close all matters in India before you leave

3. Keep the Canadian consular office informed about your departure/flights. Considering you have a temporary passport, you might want to have the contact information of someone from that office in case of any difficulties at the departure airport