+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired but valid US drivers license - exchange for BC license

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
I am a prospective PR and in the final stages of my application and would like to know how to obtain a drivers license in British Columbia. I had a valid driver's license in US from June 2010- April 2015 in states of California and Indiana. Currently, I am not in the US and my drivers license has expired but DL status is VALID according to state driver license record.

Can I exchange my expired US driver license to get a BC driver license? Will I have to take additional tests? I will appreciate if anyone can help with this query.

bethanycupcakes

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 16th, 2014
AOR Received.
November 24th, 2014
File Transfer...
November 24th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 11th, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 14, 2015
Hello,

So just to clarify, they will not see an expired license as "Vaild", however, they will consider it as driving experience, which I believe they require 2 years from the US or other country that they have an agreement with (I believe the UK, Australia, but NOT INDIA FOR SURE), so you can use it for proof of that. They may want to see a current (not expired) DL from wherever you are currently coming from as well to avoid re-testing. There is some very helpful information here from ICBC: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

Also, if you haven't already insured a car in BC, be aware how spendy it will be (We're talking $2000-$4000 a year) so make sure you get your letters from your previous insurance companies to show a clean driving record. The will give 5% a year up to 40% off for "good driving"

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
bethanycupcakes said:
Hello,

So just to clarify, they will not see an expired license as "Vaild", however, they will consider it as driving experience, which I believe they require 2 years from the US or other country that they have an agreement with (I believe the UK, Australia, but NOT INDIA FOR SURE), so you can use it for proof of that. They may want to see a current (not expired) DL from wherever you are currently coming from as well to avoid re-testing. There is some very helpful information here from ICBC: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

Also, if you haven't already insured a car in BC, be aware how spendy it will be (We're talking $2000-$4000 a year) so make sure you get your letters from your previous insurance companies to show a clean driving record. The will give 5% a year up to 40% off for "good driving"
Is a foreign driving license (Non-USA) enough to show driving experience or do we still need driving experience letter from license issuing authority ?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
anandg12 said:
I am a prospective PR and in the final stages of my application and would like to know how to obtain a drivers license in British Columbia. I had a valid driver's license in US from June 2010- April 2015 in states of California and Indiana. Currently, I am not in the US and my drivers license has expired but DL status is VALID according to state driver license record.

Can I exchange my expired US driver license to get a BC driver license? Will I have to take additional tests? I will appreciate if anyone can help with this query.
Not sure about BC, but in Ontario you need a non-expired DL

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If your US driver's licence hasn't been expired for long, you can probably get another one without taking any more tests (unless your immigration status in the US is no longer valid).

bethanycupcakes

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 16th, 2014
AOR Received.
November 24th, 2014
File Transfer...
November 24th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 11th, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 14, 2015
It depends on the Country. They will accept 2 years driving experience from the following:

Austria ​
Australia ​
France ​
Germany
Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey
Ireland
Japan
Netherlands*
New Zealand ​​
South Korea (not motorcycles)
Switzerland ​
Taiwan (not motorcycles)**
United Kingdom (includes England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
United States (includes Washington DC and Puerto Rico)

* Except former territories in Antilles: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius, and St. Maarten.
** For passenger vehicles only; requires additional documentation from Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Vancouver.

Otherwise, you will have to take the knowledge & driving tests, but you won't have to go through the "graduated Licensing Program" if you can prove the 2 years in another country other than one listed above. If not, you have to do the whole process (getting your L then N).

As far as for insurance, I must correct myself, you will need your "claim history" report showing if you've had any at fault accidents or not in order to receive any kind of discount on your insurance. They will not look at your driving records actually. So if you cannot provide this, you will not get any discounts on your Car Insurance (which is unrelated to you obtaining your DL).

Reactions: Miracle2018

hakweye

Star Member
Nov 16, 2016
bethanycupcakes said:
It depends on the Country. They will accept 2 years driving experience from the following:

Austria ​
Australia ​
France ​
Germany
Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey
Ireland
Japan
Netherlands*
New Zealand ​​
South Korea (not motorcycles)
Switzerland ​
Taiwan (not motorcycles)**
United Kingdom (includes England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
United States (includes Washington DC and Puerto Rico)

* Except former territories in Antilles: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius, and St. Maarten.
** For passenger vehicles only; requires additional documentation from Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Vancouver.

Otherwise, you will have to take the knowledge & driving tests, but you won't have to go through the "graduated Licensing Program" if you can prove the 2 years in another country other than one listed above. If not, you have to do the whole process (getting your L then N).

As far as for insurance, I must correct myself, you will need your "claim history" report showing if you've had any at fault accidents or not in order to receive any kind of discount on your insurance. They will not look at your driving records actually. So if you cannot provide this, you will not get any discounts on your Car Insurance (which is unrelated to you obtaining your DL).

Hello, I'm Indian however I have USA driving License valid till 3/3/2017. I'll most likely move to Canada in Mid-late April after ICT approval.
I can show 2+ years of Driving history in USA and I did get the required Driving History documents from USA DMV's.

My question is can i get the Canada DL using Expired USA driving License which was valid till 3/3/2017 (I'm leaving US on 2/26/2017 to India) and 2+ years USA driving history document even though my Nationality is Indian ?

Reactions: Miracle2018

godavari

Oct 30, 2017
I
Hello, I'm Indian however I have USA driving License valid till 3/3/2017. I'll most likely move to Canada in Mid-late April after ICT approval.
I can show 2+ years of Driving history in USA and I did get the required Driving History documents from USA DMV's.

My question is can i get the Canada DL using Expired USA driving License which was valid till 3/3/2017 (I'm leaving US on 2/26/2017 to India) and 2+ years USA driving history document even though my Nationality is Indian ?
have same question brother In same boat.
I am going to British Columbia in the month of Spetember 2018 Can any body tell me this exprired (<1YR) US Drivers License exchange program works in BC or NOT?
Please suggest any link where i suppose to check for
Thanks in advance

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I can share my experience which can be used by many people coming to Canada. If You have expired US License make sure its not more than 3 years. You can very easily get BC Class 5 License with just one eye test and one 5 question oral test (pretty simple process). Make sure you carry original License and you need to surrender the License.

Driving history of two years is required which they calculate from Date of License