+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EXPERTS! PLEASE HELP ME WITH PGWP APPLICATION

theanonymous

Mar 4, 2021
Hamilton
Hello,
I'm an International student and I need help with my situation. Please read the details and provide a solution/suggestion. Here's the scenario, I got admission into a 2 year engineering diploma course in 2017. I failed a few subjects throughout my study and due to that I couldn't get prerequistes subjects in following semester. After that I had to take a gap for 1 semester due to a problem. I did my last 2 semesters as a part time student. My main concern is how can I apply for a workpermit and explain this whole situation to get an approval.

The timeline for my course is:
September 2017-December 2017: 1st Semester
January 2018-April2018: 2nd Semester
May 2018-August 2018: Summer Break
September 2018-December 2018: 3rd Semester
January 2019-April 2019: 4th semester (Expected Graduation)
May 2019-August 2019: Summer Break (As my semesters run through fall and winter only I couldn't take my missed courses in summer)
September 2019-December 2019: Again 3rd semester
I was a full time student till December 2019.
January 2020-April2020: I had to take a gap due to personal reasons.
May 2020-August2020: Again Summer Break No classes available.
September 2020-December 2020: Part Time (Took Missed course from 3rd semester)
January 2021-April 2021: Part Time (Took Missed course from 4th semester)

I'll be graduating this April with an overall 70%. (Grades wouldn'

I was a full time student for 5 semesters and part time for 2.

My main concern is how should I process my post graduation work permit application.
1) Should I go to a port of entry and apply at the border by flagpoling?
2) Should I apply online and provide a detailed explanation about my situation explaining everything with the help of an immigration lawyer?

If I go to a port of entry and they refuse my pgwp application, can I apply online after that?

Please! Please! Please! Help Me! I'm very much worried about my situation. I know I messed it up real bad, but I need help to get out of this situation and want to improve my chances of getting a pgwp. Please reply as much as you know. Anything would help.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hello,
I'm an International student and I need help with my situation. Please read the details and provide a solution/suggestion. Here's the scenario, I got admission into a 2 year engineering diploma course in 2017. I failed a few subjects throughout my study and due to that I couldn't get prerequistes subjects in following semester. After that I had to take a gap for 1 semester due to a problem. I did my last 2 semesters as a part time student. My main concern is how can I apply for a workpermit and explain this whole situation to get an approval.

The timeline for my course is:
September 2017-December 2017: 1st Semester
January 2018-April2018: 2nd Semester
May 2018-August 2018: Summer Break
September 2018-December 2018: 3rd Semester
January 2019-April 2019: 4th semester (Expected Graduation)
May 2019-August 2019: Summer Break (As my semesters run through fall and winter only I couldn't take my missed courses in summer)
September 2019-December 2019: Again 3rd semester
I was a full time student till December 2019.
January 2020-April2020: I had to take a gap due to personal reasons.
May 2020-August2020: Again Summer Break No classes available.
September 2020-December 2020: Part Time (Took Missed course from 3rd semester)
January 2021-April 2021: Part Time (Took Missed course from 4th semester)

I'll be graduating this April with an overall 70%. (Grades wouldn'

I was a full time student for 5 semesters and part time for 2.

My main concern is how should I process my post graduation work permit application.
1) Should I go to a port of entry and apply at the border by flagpoling?
2) Should I apply online and provide a detailed explanation about my situation explaining everything with the help of an immigration lawyer?

If I go to a port of entry and they refuse my pgwp application, can I apply online after that?

Please! Please! Please! Help Me! I'm very much worried about my situation. I know I messed it up real bad, but I need help to get out of this situation and want to improve my chances of getting a pgwp. Please reply as much as you know. Anything would help.
You're not eligible for pgwp, why are you asking about it?

theanonymous

Mar 4, 2021
Hamilton
You're not eligible for pgwp, why are you asking about it?
Could you explain why am I not eligible? Because my friend had a situation worse than me and he got his work permit from port of entry? My only concern is if by any chance I don't get my work permit from port of entry, can i apply online again?

LilJa

Mar 2, 2021
Could you explain why am I not eligible? Because my friend had a situation worse than me and he got his work permit from port of entry? My only concern is if by any chance I don't get my work permit from port of entry, can i apply online again?
Some new rules have been issued because of covid-19. From canada.ca, "If you're still inside canada, you're eligible for the PGWP if you had to put your studies on hold, or study part time, during the winter, spring or summer 2020 semesters because of covid-19". So your Jan-Apr 2020 gap could be excused. Also, you're allowed to be part time in your last semester.

But they add "as of the fall 2020 semester, you must be studying full time to be eligible", which you fall short of.

I was in a similar situation as yourself. I was part time in a couple of semesters, all of which could be excused thanks to the new rules. Except one of them. I wrote a letter of explanation and got my permit. Write a proper LOE and provide proof if you can. Hopefully all goes well.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#pgwp-eligibility

Last edited:
Reactions: JessieJZ