+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expert Help Needed: GTS WP and spouse OWP delay

Jan 13, 2020
Hello everyone, I would really appreciate your help on my case.
  1. I would like to know how long it typically takes to complete the background check for my wife?
  2. I would like to know how long does it usually take to get back my passport? And will this impact the processing time?
  3. At CIC website it mentions 8 weeks processing time for WP in Egypt. Now we're at 10 weeks. Is this normal? Did they start the 8 weeks when the asked for further information on my wife's application?
Timeline:
  • 23 Nov I applied for a GTS WP NOC0 along with a OWP for my wife and TRV for my child
  • 26 Nov We have done Biometrics
  • 9 Dec I received a request from Edmonton office to submit my passport only and not my wife or kid
  • 10 Dec I submitted my passport only as per the request
  • 18 Dec I received another notification that the passport request came in error and they gave me an option to keep my passport with them or to send it back to me
  • 9 Jan I received additional information request for my wife's application and I provided the info on 10th Jan which was basically asking a question on one trip of her travel history
  • Through my immigration consultant I asked for information of the application status and we got a reply that currently they're working on Background check of my wife with an external agency and they have no idea when it will be done as it's out of their control
  • 24 Jan I requested to get my passport back
  • 30 Jan and I have not heard back from the visa office regarding my passport nor the application status

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, I would really appreciate your help on my case.
  1. I would like to know how long it typically takes to complete the background check for my wife?
  2. I would like to know how long does it usually take to get back my passport? And will this impact the processing time?
  3. At CIC website it mentions 8 weeks processing time for WP in Egypt. Now we're at 10 weeks. Is this normal? Did they start the 8 weeks when the asked for further information on my wife's application?
Timeline:
  • 23 Nov I applied for a GTS WP NOC0 along with a OWP for my wife and TRV for my child
  • 26 Nov We have done Biometrics
  • 9 Dec I received a request from Edmonton office to submit my passport only and not my wife or kid
  • 10 Dec I submitted my passport only as per the request
  • 18 Dec I received another notification that the passport request came in error and they gave me an option to keep my passport with them or to send it back to me
  • 9 Jan I received additional information request for my wife's application and I provided the info on 10th Jan which was basically asking a question on one trip of her travel history
  • Through my immigration consultant I asked for information of the application status and we got a reply that currently they're working on Background check of my wife with an external agency and they have no idea when it will be done as it's out of their control
  • 24 Jan I requested to get my passport back
  • 30 Jan and I have not heard back from the visa office regarding my passport nor the application status
1. Unfortunately background checks are very individual to the person and their history. There is really no standard processing time however you can assume your wife's will take longer because they requested additional information. Background checks can generally take anywhere from a few days to several months.
2. It's not possible to say when you will get your passport back since IRCC requested it too early and a decision in your application hasn't been made yet. Once a decision is made, you should get your passport back quickly.
3. It's not unusual for processing to take longer. The processing time stated on the web site is just an estimate. Since there has been an additional information request for your wife, your application is no longer standard which means your application will not follow normal processing times (i.e. you can expect extended processing times). No - they did not wait until week 8 to start processing. That is just when the additional information was requested.

Reactions: Spacemarine188
Jan 13, 2020
1. Unfortunately background checks are very individual to the person and their history. There is really no standard processing time however you can assume your wife's will take longer because they requested additional information. Background checks can generally take anywhere from a few days to several months.
2. It's not possible to say when you will get your passport back since IRCC requested it too early and a decision in your application hasn't been made yet. Once a decision is made, you should get your passport back quickly.
3. It's not unusual for processing to take longer. The processing time stated on the web site is just an estimate. Since there has been an additional information request for your wife, your application is no longer standard which means your application will not follow normal processing times (i.e. you can expect extended processing times). No - they did not wait until week 8 to start processing. That is just when the additional information was requested.
Thank you so much for your reply. I think waiting for unknown duration is what makes the process frustrating.

Jan 13, 2020
I received a reply today from the Embassy saying my file is being processed by the office in Edmonton and not by them. Does this make the processing faster or slower vs if it was processed in Cairo?