+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience with TRP request at the border

SnakeEyes

Apr 30, 2015
Does anyone have information on someone's or their own experience with a US citizen requesting a Temporary Resident Permit (due to dui inadmissibility) at the border for a short week long trip for sporting events? Looking into details this possibility. DUI was 4 years ago, no accident/injury or other charges just got stopped for a cracked tail light.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SnakeEyes said:
Does anyone have information on someone's or their own experience with a US citizen requesting a Temporary Resident Permit (due to dui inadmissibility) at the border for a short week long trip for sporting events? Looking into details this possibility. DUI was 4 years ago, no accident/injury or other charges just got stopped for a cracked tail light.
Applicant is most likely inadmissible to Canada. There might be a small chance his/her records wont be checked but if they are there is nothing to do to overcome the decision. Applicant will be advised to apply for a visa at a visa office abroad where the circumstances are more closely evaluated. Best way to go about this is to apply for expungement of records or pardon. This needs to be thru court where applicant was found guilty.

SnakeEyes

Apr 30, 2015
Yeah, definitely inadmissible and cannot be deemed rehabbed yet (less than 5 years) and that's why the inquiry regarding a TRP. From what I've been reading, obtaining one when a person has had only a DUI (and only that, with no injury/accident etc) on their record and are visiting short term seems the best option and fairly likely. Just even saw that the $200 fee is waived when applying for a TRP for the first time with certain offenses including DUI (OB 389). That's why I was hoping to hear of someone's experience. Normally it wouldn't be a problem since USA is a visa-exempt country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can't offer any advice from personal experience. However I think the reason why you want to visit Canada could be at issue. TRPs are normally meant for those who have a pressing need to visit Canada (e.g. visit a terminally ill relative) but are inadmissible. A sporting event is a pretty weak reason based on this. However you can certainly give it a try and see how it goes.

SnakeEyes

Apr 30, 2015
That's what I seemed to gather when reading things but it seems newer stuff regarding them is that they are being used as more of a stop gap for situations like a single non-accident/injury DUI to allow those that arent a greater risk that laws were intended to keep out.

not allowed to post links but this very site was one of my initial sources into looking into things /canada-eases-entry-rules-for-visitors-with-minor-convictions.html

Similar to what is mentioned in the above link, referencing those coming across for tourist/vacation fishing/hunting trips, I'd be there for a week to attend multiple Women's World Cup matches.