+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience letter - help needed

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hi All,

I have received the ITA and have some questions around the experience letter that we need to submit post ITA. Can anyone please check and share thoughts/experiences on this one?

1) I am working on a contract position and currently working to get the experience letter. The only documentation I have from employer is the contract letter and the pay stubs. The employer does not give the letter in the required format. I don't know anyone else from whom I can get the letter. I wanted to know what could be my options in case I don't get any letter from employer/colleague. While submitting the profile, I did not include this experience. My earlier experience should be enough from points perspective. So is it ok if I don't include this contract experience? Or in case I don't get letter, should I include the contract letter, patsy's and may be share details in the LOE?

2) My spouse has a letter that she took from her colleague few years back. Is it ok if we include that letter which is dated around 2013?

3) For getting a letter from a friend working in the organization, is there a fixed format for that or any particular things which we need to keep in mind? Can we get a simple document which outlines the roles/responsibilities, have it signed by friend and get it notarized?

Thank you for your guidance on this one !

Regards,
Sachin

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hi Sachin,

If you are showing your current pay stub then it will be kind of mandatory to show what you do at your current job and it needs to be signed by your current manager who you are reporting to.

I was in the same position when I applied for PR and I was also working as a contractor for Cisco & my employer helped with the letter.

So I would recommend you tell them how critical is it for you to get the letter, maybe that contracting company is afraid that you might hand-over the letter to US labor department or while going through a US visa interview, etc.

You can definitely attached a letter of explanation saying why you cannot submit a Letter of Experience but you dont know what will be the outcome.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Hi All,

I have received the ITA and have some questions around the experience letter that we need to submit post ITA. Can anyone please check and share thoughts/experiences on this one?

1) I am working on a contract position and currently working to get the experience letter. The only documentation I have from employer is the contract letter and the pay stubs. The employer does not give the letter in the required format. I don't know anyone else from whom I can get the letter. I wanted to know what could be my options in case I don't get any letter from employer/colleague. While submitting the profile, I did not include this experience. My earlier experience should be enough from points perspective. So is it ok if I don't include this contract experience? Or in case I don't get letter, should I include the contract letter, patsy's and may be share details in the LOE?

2) My spouse has a letter that she took from her colleague few years back. Is it ok if we include that letter which is dated around 2013?

3) For getting a letter from a friend working in the organization, is there a fixed format for that or any particular things which we need to keep in mind? Can we get a simple document which outlines the roles/responsibilities, have it signed by friend and get it notarized?

Thank you for your guidance on this one !

Regards,
Sachin
FWIW, i was in a similar situation. I was in H1B and did not want to let my current employer know about my plans. I requested a generic experience letter (which had hours, salary, employment date, designation) for use at port of entry. I had a copy of my approved PERM which had job duties. I used that along with pay stubs. Most importantly, i had included a LoE in my application explaining as to why i could not get a direct letter from my employer as it could affect my raise, bonus etc. I don't know if they accepted it or choose to ignore that particular experience ( i had enough experience from other jobs along with letters ) but it worked out fine.

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Thank you for sharing feedbacks !!

I was going thru other posts in the forum around work history/personal history sections. For now I am inclining towards adding only my that work experience for which I am claiming points and for which I have the documentations. I will include all experiences including my current ( for which I am not claiming points since I don't have sufficient proof) in the personal history section.

I will review things other and check around with other experts as well and if this looks good, will follow this approach..

Let me know if you guys have seen such experiences and have any background on this one !!

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hi All,

I had around 3 designations during my tenure with my employer but my experience letter just indicates the latest one when i left the organization and the start date is my joining date and end date is my last working day in office.

So in this case should i include all the positions I held in the company and include the same letter at all places. OR should I just include the last one since the letter just includes the last position?

Regards,
Sachin.