+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expecting child, COPR received - urgent

SN611

Sep 21, 2015
Hi All,

Same situation is going here. I am expected to get COPR at around 15th Jan, 2017 and we are expecting a child in December, 2016.

Please guide what should be the best option we have in these circumstances?

The guy who initiated this thread can also share his experiences which I m sure must be beneficial for us.

Thanks in anticipation.

zenghi

Oct 29, 2013
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2013
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-05-01-2015
Med's Done....
-10-01-2015
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
-
SN611 said:
Hi All,

Same situation is going here. I am expected to get COPR at around 15th Jan, 2017 and we are expecting a child in December, 2016.

Please guide what should be the best option we have in these circumstances?

The guy who initiated this thread can also share his experiences which I m sure must be beneficial for us.

Thanks in anticipation.
The best option is to move to Canada with your wife asap after receiving copr and having the baby in Canada.

If you decide to have baby in your home country before travel, then you will have to apply for addition of the child into your application and do medical for child. The issued copr will become invalid.

If you decide to travel alone after receiving the copr but before the child is born , then your wife's visa will become invalid and then you will have to sponsor them which is quite difficult than the options 1&2 above.

SN611

Sep 21, 2015
zenghi said:
The best option is to move to Canada with your wife asap after receiving copr and having the baby in Canada.

If you decide to have baby in your home country before travel, then you will have to apply for addition of the child into your application and do medical for child. The issued copr will become invalid.

If you decide to travel alone after receiving the copr but before the child is born , then your wife's visa will become invalid and then you will have to sponsor them which is quite difficult than the options 1&2 above.
Thanks. Which States will I have the option to get the medical within 1 or 2 weeks after landing?

zenghi

Oct 29, 2013
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2013
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-05-01-2015
Med's Done....
-10-01-2015
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
-
SN611 said:
Thanks. Which States will I have the option to get the medical within 1 or 2 weeks after landing?
Alberta provides next day insurance. I think Manitoba also does that. Check Saskatchewan as well..

virmanir7

Aug 3, 2014
Hi all.

I was in a similar situation. Copr issued and couldn't travel.

Best option is if you can travel and deliver in Canada. If the baby is born before 3 months, you bear all the expenses. After that, it is free. However, remember that you would still have to pay for the routine checkups and scans that are done within the time frame. You can have an insurance, but that would be pricey too.

Second option (which I took ) is to inform the high commission about the pregnancy. keep your documents ready for all procedures as soon as the baby is born, and apply for a passport. (I applied for an express speed passport for my daughter). Then inform the high commission immediately. I soon received a mail requesting more documents, which I promptly sent (this included updated forms, baby's fee, baby's birth certificate, passport copy and updated proof of funds). Once done, I have now received medical request for me, my daughter and spouse again, which we will be undergoing. Also our previous copr and visa have been rendered invalid and we would be issued fresh ones. I also received a mail requesting the copr and passport for cancellation of previous documents and issuance of new ones.

I thought my experience may be of help to anyone in deciding their course of action.

So whatever you decide, wish you all the best!

Inder41

Oct 14, 2016
Hi adeeclis i m in same situation now ..what u got reply pls share . My COPR expires this month and i write mail to visa office .visa officer replied we are not willing to reopen ur application . This makes me sad .. what to do nxt..chil born last month..pls help

manashdeb

Jun 5, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
My situation is somewhat similar. We are in US and expecting our first baby in October.
Just got PPR and have sent passports for COPR stamping. Planning to land in Canada in November with child.

Can we travel in this COPR in November or it will be canceled after child birth?
As our child will be USA citizen, he does not need visa to enter Canada. Please suggest if this plan will impact my COPR.

Aaisha09

Apr 27, 2017
Hello,

We are in a similar situation. We received our ppr and submitted our passports with a cover letter requesting for extension as we are expecting our baby in November 2017. We also submitted a letter from my OB GYN stating my due date. However, Our case seems to have been approved which means we will receive our COPR. Would it still be possible to add our new born later if we do not land in Canada prior to the birth of the baby.

Kindly share your experience.

Will appreciate your earliest response!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

We are in a similar situation. We received our ppr and submitted our passports with a cover letter requesting for extension as we are expecting our baby in November 2017. We also submitted a letter from my OB GYN stating my due date. However, Our case seems to have been approved which means we will receive our COPR. Would it still be possible to add our new born later if we do not land in Canada prior to the birth of the baby.

Kindly share your experience.

Will appreciate your earliest response!
Hi

Extensions are not granted. Provided the baby is born before your COPRs expire, you can return your documents and add him/her to the app.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For those suggesting you land in a province that offers healthcare right away please see read below. Provinces know people will try to do this so be careful. I would suggest having the baby and apply to amend your PR applications.

Eligible residents
An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

1. Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
  2. Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
  3. Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
  4. Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
NOTE: Individuals coming to Alberta on visas or permits from Citizenship and Immigration Canada may be eligible for AHCIP coverage, depending on the type of immigration document they have, the length of time on the document and their commitment to reside in Alberta for 12 consecutive months.

manashdeb

Jun 5, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I landed at our 35th week at Toronto, completed the formalities in a day and came back. Saved loosing our approval that way. Will spinser our child after his birth

Aaisha09

Apr 27, 2017
Hi

Extensions are not granted. Provided the baby is born before your COPRs expire, you can return your documents and add him/her to the app.
Hi

Thank you so much for your response - so if we do not land in Canada until the baby is born (COPR is valid until June 2018), we can always send our passports back n get new COPR along with adding the baby to the application right.

Thanks,
Aaisha

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi

Thank you so much for your response - so if we do not land in Canada until the baby is born (COPR is valid until June 2018), we can always send our passports back n get new COPR along with adding the baby to the application right.

Thanks,
Aaisha
Yes, your family composition would have changed by then and you're required to do so.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Thanks,
Aaisha
Yes. That is generally the best plan, as the baby can then immigrate with you guys instead of staying behind while one of you moves to Canada to do the sponsorship application.