+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exited as a minor 25 years ago, reentered into Canada

trebus

Feb 17, 2016
I had a IMM1000 that was issued to me as a minor when my parents and I landed.
Due to various circumstances, I've only retrieved the original document and reading from the threads here I took my chances to apply for an american Visa and to do a land border crossing a few months ago.

I'm now in canadian borders without any issues, I was waved through without any questions.
Now my only question is what can I actually do in canada for the next 2 years? Am I able to apply for a SIN number that I never received since I was too young back then? Apply for a driver's license? A health card?
Will applying for them prove a danger to my status before meeting RO?

What are my next steps?
Do you have any advice?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And the CBSA haven’t done him any favours by letting him without reporting . It’ll be virtually impossible to get a SIN assigned , or get access to Healthcare for two years until he applies for a new PR card

You must have a valid PR card in your situation to apply for a SIN

“The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident. The permanent resident card is required after this period.”
No SIN #, no employment
In order to get a SIN you’ll have to apply to get a PR card which will trigger a RO review
SIN # are issued by ESDC not the IRCC

Last edited:
Reactions: trebus

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Unfortunately you will likely have a problem obtaining a SIN and health card.

Am always shocked how lazy CBSA is sometimes. COPR from the 80s and no secondary.
If the OP is from a visa waiver country, OP could have told the CBSA officer he/she is a tourist and the officer would let the OP in on that basis.

trebus

Feb 17, 2016
Yes, I dont have a passport. All I have is a travel document. The officer didn't even ask me if I'm visiting. He just asked how long have I been in the US and what i've been doing there and let me go.

jesh08

Jul 19, 2018
Yes, I dont have a passport. All I have is a travel document. The officer didn't even ask me if I'm visiting. He just asked how long have I been in the US and what i've been doing there and let me go.
you are US citizen? or you get tourist visa of usa and enter canada by land border?

trebus

Feb 17, 2016
I got a American tourist visa and entered canada through the land border. I'm not a citizen of any country.

djm1414

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-04-2017
AOR Received.
06-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-04-2017
Passport Req..
20-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
13-09-2017
You may be able to get a SIN with your IMM1000 Record of Landing (which is not the same as the Confirmation of Permanent Residence). See here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html

Permanent residents must provide an original of one of the following:

• Permanent resident card issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence issued by IRCC, accompanied by either a travel document (for example, a foreign passport) or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial/territorial authority (for example, a driver’s licence). Note: The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident. The permanent resident card is required after this period.
  • Record of Landing issued by IRCC before June 28, 2002.
  • Verification of Landing issued by IRCC. This document is provided when an original Record of Landing or the Confirmation of permanent residence is not available (if it has been lost, for example). This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.
  • Status Verification or Verification of Status issued by IRCC. This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.
It does not say the Record of Landing has an expiry date on when it can be used to obtain a SIN. It can't hurt to go to Service Canada and see what happens.

SIN, health card, driver license should not trigger any interaction with IRCC and therefore no review of your residency obligation.

Reactions: trebus

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
People don’t just show up with COPR from the 80s without a reason and the visa officer could have easily checked to see when the OP was in Canada. A lack of PR card should trigger further investigation in all cases. A COPR from the 80s is a huge red flag that secondary is necessary.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You may be able to get a SIN with your IMM1000 Record of Landing (which is not the same as the Confirmation of Permanent Residence). See here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html

It does not say the Record of Landing has an expiry date on when it can be used to obtain a SIN. It can't hurt to go to Service Canada and see what happens.

SIN, health card, driver license should not trigger any interaction with IRCC and therefore no review of your residency obligation.
If the IMM1000 was an acceptable form of ID for a SIN, it would be listed on the governments website. They were discontinued in July 2002. They would assume that from that time, the person would have actually received a PR card. The form the O/P would have a landing date stamped on it, when they actually arrived into Canada, the one year starts from that date.
They would be referred back to the IRCC to get an actual PR card, this would then trigger a RO review.

djm1414

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-04-2017
AOR Received.
06-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-04-2017
Passport Req..
20-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
13-09-2017
If the IMM1000 was an acceptable form of ID for a SIN, it would be listed on the governments website. They were discontinued in July 2002. They would assume that from that time, the person would have actually received a PR card. The form the O/P would have a landing date stamped on it, when they actually arrived into Canada, the one year starts from that date.
They would be referred back to the IRCC to get an actual PR card, this would then trigger a RO review.
It is listed on the government's website as acceptable form of ID for a SIN. Please, again, read this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html

IMM1000 is the Record of Landing, and there is no indication that the IMM1000 is not acceptable after a certain date, merely that they were issued before June 28, 2002. PRs are not required to have a PR card, and the IMM1000 is not a COPR.

Reactions: steaky

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you actually clicked on the link and read "record of landing" listed as one primary document? IMM 1000 is the record of landing.

trebus

Feb 17, 2016
I tried going to service canada to get my SIN number. The person who was helping me was about to do it before the supervisor stepped in asking me to show my PR card. I will try getting a driver's license and health card soon.