+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exit Canada after taking oath

jaxax

Feb 10, 2015
I am moving USA soon while being on the later stage of citizenship application. I am planning to be back Canada just for one day to take the oath.
1. Can I leave Canada by air without pr card since I will cut it on the oath. Just explain situation at the counter?
2. Does driving to USA makes it easier? I doubt they will ask pr card at the border?
3. I can apply for Canadian passport in USA. Does anyone has experience with that? I need to send documents for passport by mail? How long it takes?
4. To apply for temporary entry permit I need to send my current other country passport. How long it takes,
5. What is other option to come back Canada?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I am moving USA soon while being on the later stage of citizenship application. I am planning to be back Canada just for one day to take the oath.
1. Can I leave Canada by air without pr card since I will cut it on the oath. Just explain situation at the counter?
2. Does driving to USA makes it easier? I doubt they will ask pr card at the border?
3. I can apply for Canadian passport in USA. Does anyone has experience with that? I need to send documents for passport by mail? How long it takes?
4. To apply for temporary entry permit I need to send my current other country passport. How long it takes,
As mentioned you don't need PR to exit Canada. Someone gave IRCC a friend's address who sent the certificate to them in the US. It may take up to 2 months to get your passport by mail. Before that I am afraid you cannot enter Canada, especially you will be sending your original certificate with your passport application.

jaxax

Feb 10, 2015
One more question. If someone will send me to USA Citizenship certificate, can I enter by land border?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is it for sure? I always remember pr cards checked at the counter
You're mistaken. Canada has no exit controls.

Reactions: snoopyta

gordinho

Mar 20, 2021
I recall being asked for my PR card when exiting at an airport.
Did you have a round trip ticket? At any rate you wouldn't need.to provide one. I've had non immigration people do things they shouldn't do at airports... sometimes people over reach their duties.

Only exit docs asked may be in case you are traveling with child unaccompanied by both parents for example.

sang1507

Star Member
Mar 7, 2018
Hi Jaxax,
Could you please let know if you had a resolve for your query? Were you able to leave canada after finishing oath ? Were you able to apply from USA?
Were you able to continue to use your country of origin passport when entering USA or other countries while waiting for your canadian passport( in case dual citizenship with origin country not allowed).
Appreciate your response.