+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exemption of Residency requirement- Crown Employee

torontorez

Aug 21, 2015
If I work for a crown corporation, can I be exempt from the residency requirement if I have lived in India (on sick leave) for an extended time? I was an employee at the time on short term disability.

From CIC-

Can I count any time I’ve spent outside of Canada toward the physical presence requirement when applying for citizenship?
Time spent outside Canada does not count towards the physical presence requirement except in certain circumstances.

You can count time spent outside Canada toward the physical presence requirement for citizenship if you:

Were a permanent resident employed in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, federal public administration, or public service of a province or territory; or

andersonhc

Feb 2, 2017
torontorez said:
If I work for a crown corporation, can I be exempt from the residency requirement if I have lived in India (on sick leave) for an extended time? I was an employee at the time on short term disability.

From CIC-

Can I count any time I’ve spent outside of Canada toward the physical presence requirement when applying for citizenship?
Time spent outside Canada does not count towards the physical presence requirement except in certain circumstances.

You can count time spent outside Canada toward the physical presence requirement for citizenship if you:

Were a permanent resident employed in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, federal public administration, or public service of a province or territory; or
This rule is meant to cover people that have to go out of the country due to their jobs, like army deployed to another country, CBSA officers working abroad or embassy/consulate employees.

I believe CIC will not count this period you were in India.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
torontorez said:

From CIC-

No. That exemption is to cover people who are sent outside of the country to work in the service of Canada. You chose to go to India.