+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exchange Student Re-entering Canada after short trip to USA

mpitillo

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

We have an exchange student from Denmark, who arrived on the 20th of December in Montreal/Quebec, after a long delay to get all documents ready. We'd like to do a trip to the USA in March, and bring him with us. However, his situation was a bit unique and we want to verify he can re-enter the country.

To give you some context, he was a "special" case, because even though he had his CAQ, he hasn't received his Study Permit. But, because he only had 6 months left in his school, he was authorised to enter Canada with a combination of CAQ + eTA. A week after arriving, his Study Permit got processed and emailed to him. However, he hasn't used this paper in the airport just yet.

Please see the two images in attachment!

Looking at his documents, he has a visitor document issued by the immigration office when he arrived here in Montreal, and this document says that he isn't authorised re-entry using this document alone. But, he has a valid eTA until 2025, AND he has his new student permit that he hasn't "used" yet.

Finally, another concern was the medical exams. By the time we go to USA in March, his medical exams would have been performed for over 12 months. Would that be a problem? Looking at his new student permit, it says "Medical Examination Validity: N/A", so I am not sure if it matters that it would have been over 12 months. Also, by the time he re-enters Canada, he would only have 3 months left at school, so potentially a need of a valid medical exam is no longer necessary then?

TL:DR - Does anyone have had an exchange student in a similar situation, and do you know if this would allow him to re-enter Canada after a short trip to USA?

Thank you!

mpitillo

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Anyone that can help with this? :(

I really can't find the answer to this question anywhere.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
The Study Permit and the Temporary Resident Visa/eTA are different. My study permit has the same "NOT AUTHORIZED FOR RE-ENTRY" written at the bottom. AFAIK, as long as your friend's eTA/TRV is still valid (has not expired) and still has a semester of study left when he re-enters Canada, it should be fine. They will have to explain why they travelled in between the program if the Canadian Agent at the border asks them and provide proof that they will be studying. Will you be travelling in between classes?

mpitillo

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
The Study Permit and the Temporary Resident Visa/eTA are different. My study permit has the same "NOT AUTHORIZED FOR RE-ENTRY" written at the bottom. AFAIK, as long as your friend's eTA/TRV is still valid (has not expired) and still has a semester of study left when he re-enters Canada, it should be fine. They will have to explain why they travelled in between the program if the Canadian Agent at the border asks them and provide proof that they will be studying. Will you be travelling in between classes?
Thank you so much for your reply!

We would be traveling during his spring break, just for a week. Once back, he would still have 3 months left in his school, before it is over.

His eTA is valid until 2025, so plenty of time. But I wasn’t sure if this would be enough, since he would be coming back with the goal to finish his studies, and he never actually “used” his study permit letter, as mentioned in my initial post.

I just wish that I could be 100% sure that he would have no issues coming back to Canada. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for your reply!

We would be traveling during his spring break, just for a week. Once back, he would still have 3 months left in his school, before it is over.

His eTA is valid until 2025, so plenty of time. But I wasn’t sure if this would be enough, since he would be coming back with the goal to finish his studies, and he never actually “used” his study permit letter, as mentioned in my initial post.

I just wish that I could be 100% sure that he would have no issues coming back to Canada. Thank you!
There's no way to be 100% sure or to guarantee re-entry. The decision to admit someone into Canada or not is always up to CBSA at the border regardless of what sort of temporary visa someone holds. Having said that, this exchange student shouldn't have any issues re-entering.