+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Excessive medical demand exemptions

Jessica fyfe

Dec 12, 2018
Hello,
I have lived in Quebec for the past 5 years- 2 years on a study permit and 3 on a work permit. I am married to a candian and have a full time permanent job with insurance.
Last year, (while living in Canada using the public health care system) I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease.
Now I am applying for permanent residency. I received a Quebec skilled workers selection( my husband is not sponsoring me). I am going to have to do the medical exam and am worried I will be refused because of the Crohn’s. I know if I was applying through sponsorship I would be exempt, but I started this process before I was diagnosed.
My medication is covered through my private insurance, but I am wondering if they will still assess me as a risk. Any insights into this situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I have lived in Quebec for the past 5 years- 2 years on a study permit and 3 on a work permit. I am married to a candian and have a full time permanent job with insurance.
Last year, (while living in Canada using the public health care system) I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease.
Now I am applying for permanent residency. I received a Quebec skilled workers selection( my husband is not sponsoring me). I am going to have to do the medical exam and am worried I will be refused because of the Crohn’s. I know if I was applying through sponsorship I would be exempt, but I started this process before I was diagnosed.
My medication is covered through my private insurance, but I am wondering if they will still assess me as a risk. Any insights into this situation?
Yes - it's possible you could be refused due to excessive demand. Why not switch to spousal sponsorship? As you said, in that case you cannot be refused due to your health issues.

Reactions: Jessica fyfe

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,
It will totally depend on the anticipated cost to Canada of your treatment, regardless of any insurance you may have. If it's less than the excessive demand limit, you are good. There is no risk health wise to the general public from your condition, so that's no a problem.

Reactions: Jessica fyfe

Jessica fyfe

Dec 12, 2018
Can you switch to spousal sponsorship? I didn’t realize you could switch after you already started! I thought you would have to start over!

Jessica fyfe

Dec 12, 2018
It will totally depend on the anticipated cost to Canada of your treatment, regardless of any insurance you may have. If it's less than the excessive demand limit, you are good. There is no risk health wise to the general public from your condition, so that's no a problem.
It is definitely more then the calculated amount (20,000 or whatever it is) between medications and doctors visits it is a lot!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Can you switch to spousal sponsorship? I didn’t realize you could switch after you already started! I thought you would have to start over!
Yes, you do have to start over from the beginning again. You can't switch in mid-application.
It is definitely more then the calculated amount (20,000 or whatever it is) between medications and doctors visits it is a lot!
I guess you have your answer then. Abandon a lost cause and reapply through sponsorship instead.

ash1969

Apr 26, 2017
Hello,
My view is if you are covered by private insurance....then you are good . (I may be wrong )
My sincere advise : take help of professional lawyer etc in accessing your case
Good luck

ash1969

Apr 26, 2017
Hi Zardoz
Can you pls specify ( share a link ) where I can read this
Thnx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My view is if you are covered by private insurance....then you are good . (I may be wrong )
My sincere advise : take help of professional lawyer etc in accessing your case
Good luck
You're wrong. The government has to anticipate what would happen if you lost your job and didn't have insurance. I would withdraw my application and apply for spousal sponsorship.

ash1969

Apr 26, 2017
You're wrong. The government has to anticipate what would happen if you lost your job and didn't have insurance. I would withdraw my application and apply for spousal sponsorship.
Well your point appears valid in case someone looses his job . Tnx for the clarity

ash1969

Apr 26, 2017
Canuck78 what happens in case of investor applicant (QIIP) If he has private insurance and a plan to negate the extra cost if applicable.
Thnx in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canuck78 what happens in case of investor applicant (QIIP) If he has private insurance and a plan to negate the extra cost if applicable.
Thnx in advance
You have to pass the medical like everyone else. Private insurance can be cancelled at anytime and once a PR you are entitled to all healthcare services in Canada.

Reactions: ash1969

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thnx in advance
The problem for the Canadian Government is that there are no mechanisms available to legally enforce a commitment to pay for your own treatment, once you have PR status. Therefore they have to work on the basis that the burden will fall on the healthcare services.

Reactions: canuck78

ash1969

Apr 26, 2017
The problem for the Canadian Government is that there are no mechanisms available to legally enforce a commitment to pay for your own treatment, once you have PR status. Therefore they have to work on the basis that the burden will fall on the healthcare services.
Point taken , thank you