+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exception to Condition 51 for abuse and neglect: denied

scrivener

Sep 13, 2016
Over a year ago, nearly a year after my sponsor broke up with me shortly after landing, I requested an exception to Condition 51 for abuse and neglect.

Meeting with the immigration officer to tell my story was psychologically hard and draining. Preparing and providing the evidence for sexual, financial, emotional and psychological abuse even more so. My ex was harassing me almost daily. I even went to the police, who did not help at all.

I told the CIC officer that I wanted to know what was next for me now: do I stay in Canada or do I leave? At that point, I didn't care anymore. I just wanted to be away from my ex. He reassured me that he would let me know within 2-4 weeks. That was one of the most difficult periods of my life. I didn't eat. I didn't sleep. I felt so alone.

2-4 weeks passed. I checked my mailbox obsessively. Nothing.

Months passed. Nothing.

I e-mailed him. Nothing.

I e-mailed him again. Nothing.

Life went on.

During this time, I rebuilt my life. I got a good job. An apartment. Made a new life in Canada. After the pain my ex put me through, I felt happy and normal again.

I continued to read the news about condition 51 being repealed under Justin Trudeau's government. I felt hopeful.

I even recently read in the Canada Gazette that it is being repealed, pending public consultation. I felt even more hopeful.

Meanwhile, no news from the CIC officer. I figured that maybe everyone was busy with the Syrian refugees, the US election night website crash etc.

However, I travel a lot for work. One day, a border guard let me know the exception had been granted. That everything was going to be fine. That my file was great. I travelled a few more times. Same story. I felt so happy. I celebrated.

But I still got nothing in the mail from CIC.

Until recently. Over one year later. Letter in the mail. Exception not granted. Inadmissible. We'll let you know about an inquiry soon.

What. The. Fuck.

I have no idea what to make of this. I feel abused by both my ex and Canada. I feel betrayed. This is cruel. I don't want to revisit that relationship again. It makes no sense.

Has anyone lived through this? Any ideas on what happens next? What should I do? Give up my PR and leave?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think you're honestly the first person who has gone through this on the forum.

My guess is that you'll receive a departure order next which will tell you that you need to leave Canada. If you don't leave voluntarily, this will turn into a deportation order.

My guess is that you can probably appeal (but I don't know for certain). I wouldn't do this without the help of a good immigration lawyer.