+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Example of a business plan for a Owner-Operator LMIA

BeaverTails

May 24, 2020
Hello,

I'm a British national with a UK-incorporated business and looking to move to Canada – the best path seems to be to move the business to Canada under the Owner-Operator program.

I loosely understand the process to be as follows:

> Form Company in Canada
> Make a business plan
> Apply for an LMIA as an employer (with job promotion exemption)
> Apply for a Work Permit from ESDC with the positive-LMIA (2yr)
> Later apply for PR (via EE)

It'd seem like having a watertight business plan is the most challenging part of the process. I was wondering if anyone has seen some good examples of a business plan that has been specially put together for Canadian immigration purposes? I'd like to get a feel of how involved this would be and what I'm getting myself into!

If anyone has insights into anything obvious that I've missed in the above list, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

theguv

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
London UK
Category........
NOC Code......
I'm in a similar position. UK based, self employed though, looking to get my business over to Canada. I've got a Federal Self Employed Visas Application in process but I've recently heard about this Owner/Operator LMIA Work Permit and it sounds perfect to get my feet on the ground.

I've never written a business plan before so I went hunting and found this from Quickbooks: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/cas/dam/DOCUMENT/A0q0RIjz0/How-to-write-a-business-plan-template.pdf

Needless to say I'll be using the hell out of it!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Hello,

I'm a British national with a UK-incorporated business and looking to move to Canada – the best path seems to be to move the business to Canada under the Owner-Operator program.

> Form Company in Canada
> Make a business plan

It'd seem like having a watertight business plan is the most challenging part of the process. I was wondering if anyone has seen some good examples of a business plan that has been specially put together for Canadian immigration purposes? I'd like to get a feel of how involved this would be and what I'm getting myself into!

If anyone has insights into anything obvious that I've missed in the above list, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it :)

Thanks!

You might also consider Intra-company transfer, which is an LMIA exempt work permit that adds points to your EE application after a year spent on the job. I would consider all non-LMIA options before going that route.

Reactions: newstoss

BeaverTails

May 24, 2020
Thanks for the tip, @thevisawhisperer.

The ICT path sounds like a viable option. I'll certainly look into further. Might you happen to know of any good guides/resource that would be a good starting point?

Dr.Pjmn

May 18, 2020
Hello,

> Form Company in Canada
> Make a business plan

Thanks!
try these :

https://smallbusinessbc.ca/article/10-common-business-plan-mistakes/

https://www.futurpreneur.ca/en/resources/start-up-business-planning/tips-tools/business-plan-writer/?it=business-planning/sample-business-plans-and-templates/&it=eng/page/2752/

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/business/managing-a-business/starting-a-business

Last edited: