+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ever crossed US border while your PR card application is under investigation?

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
All,

anyone crossed the U.S border back to Canada with a private card and expired PR while your PR card application is being investigated by local office for residence obligation?
if so, any issues?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
This is not an authoritative answer, but I don't think it matters -- if your PR status is being investigated, then the worst thing that can happen at the border (being flagged for PR status investigation) is already happening. If the investigation hasn't been concluded, then you're still a PR, and they have to let you in.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
What it probably means is that you did something -- cross a border, apply for a new PR card -- that gave CIC a reason to investigate whether you've maintained your PR status. Everyone who is a PR remains that way until their PR status is tested -- and then when it's tested, CIC will either confirm it (they are PRs) or decide it has been given up (if outside Canada, the person cannot enter; if inside Canada, they have 30 days to leave).

From what I understand, your PR is being tested right now, but CIC has not come to a decision -- so you are a PR. And, in my understanding, that means that you have the right to enter Canada, so long as you can prove your identity. Anyone can be hassled at the border, but there is no reason for you not to tell them the truth -- your PR status is being investigated, and you want to enter Canada. It might be a good idea to do it soon, since if they come to a decision revoking your PR, you might lose the right to enter.

However, it would also be a good idea to call CIC and make sure that you can, in fact, enter.