+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Evaluating spouse's degree if she is not the principal applicant ?

Rocks

May 23, 2013
Dear all,

I'm puzzled about the new Educational Credential Assessment policy under Express Entry program by CIC.
I would be a principal applicant on behalf of my family.
In order to be awarded points (for my wife) under spouse factor of EE ranking system, Does my spouse have to get evaluation for her education degree also or principal applicant`s degree have to be evaluated only? Please advise.

Nothing is mentioned for evaluating spouse's degree if she is not the principal applicant as per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

Thanks

sarasamaniac

Jan 22, 2015
From what I've read, you only need to do the ECA evaluation for your partner if you want to claim points from them.
BUT. The higher the total score, the more chances you'll have to be invited.

Unless you already have a a) job offer or b) province nomination that grants you an extra 600 points, in which case spending more money on her evaluation won't really help the cause (because it'll only add you a few points).

However, that evaluation might come in handy in a near future for her when you are already in Canada, I guess she could add an extra line in her CV saying that her diploma was assessed as "XXXX" by that authority.

Best of luck,
Regards.

Rocks

May 23, 2013
Hello,

Thanks for reply.
I thought that principal applicant can claim points for spouse education based on certified translation of degree.
No evaluation is required. Any more thoughts on the matter?
Thanks