+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA Problem

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
I have applied for an ETA of Canada on 15/5/2022. I have declared that I have a criminal record. I think I have fulfilled all the requirements for the Deemed Rehabilitation because 10 years had been passed after the completion of sentence.

However, over three weeks had been passed and there was no response from the IRCC. I had not been told by the IRCC what the documents are required to be submitted.

Moreover, the application process was “Pending Registration” within 2 weeks after the submission of application. It just turned from “Pending Registration” to “Submitted” on 5/6/2022, which was 3 weeks after the submission of application.

I had submitted a Case Specific Enquiry to the IRCC on 10/6/2022.

Can you explain why I cannot receive any response from the IRCC? If the IRCC requests further supporting documents, they will notify me immediately.

Can you also explain why the application progress was “Pending Registration” within 2 weeks after the submission of application?

Also, I think I had fulfilled all the requirements for the Deemed Rehabilitation. But I DID NOT mention this point in the online application form. The reason was that I don't want to be an expert or a professional of the Canadian laws. If I choose to do so, I am afraid that the ETA outcome would be affected.

Do you think this is VERY GOOD for me not to mention that I had fulfilled all the requirements for the Deemed Rehabilitation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have applied for an ETA of Canada on 15/5/2022. I have declared that I have a criminal record. I think I have fulfilled all the requirements for the Deemed Rehabilitation because 10 years had been passed after the completion of sentence.

However, over three weeks had been passed and there was no response from the IRCC. I had not been told by the IRCC what the documents are required to be submitted.

Moreover, the application process was “Pending Registration” within 2 weeks after the submission of application. It just turned from “Pending Registration” to “Submitted” on 5/6/2022, which was 3 weeks after the submission of application.

I had submitted a Case Specific Enquiry to the IRCC on 10/6/2022.

Can you explain why I cannot receive any response from the IRCC? If the IRCC requests further supporting documents, they will notify me immediately.

Can you also explain why the application progress was “Pending Registration” within 2 weeks after the submission of application?

Also, I think I had fulfilled all the requirements for the Deemed Rehabilitation. But I DID NOT mention this point in the online application form. The reason was that I don't want to be an expert or a professional of the Canadian laws. If I choose to do so, I am afraid that the ETA outcome would be affected.

Do you think this is VERY GOOD for me not to mention that I had fulfilled all the requirements for the Deemed Rehabilitation?
I can't comment on the "pending registration", however non standard eTAs seem to be taking months to process right now. Yours is in queue to be reviewed by an officer which is why you haven't heard anything yet. Once the officer looks at it, presumably they will request the police and court documents from you. If the officer immediately determines that you do not qualify for deemed rehab, then I guess it's also possible your eTA may simply be refused.

I think it's fine that you didn't mention deemed rehabilitation in the application.

In addition to it being 10 years since you completed the sentence, I assume you also meet the other criteria for deemed rehabilitation (i.e. not serious and not involving any involve any property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon).

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
I can't comment on the "pending registration", however non standard eTAs seem to be taking months to process right now. Yours is in queue to be reviewed by an officer which is why you haven't heard anything yet. Once the officer looks at it, presumably they will request the police and court documents from you. If the officer immediately determines that you do not qualify for deemed rehab, then I guess it's also possible your eTA may simply be refused.

I think it's fine that you didn't mention deemed rehabilitation in the application.

In addition to it being 10 years since you completed the sentence, I assume you also meet the other criteria for deemed rehabilitation (i.e. not serious and not involving any involve any property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon).
I am not sure whether it takes a few months to have my eTA application being processed. When I applied for the eTA in 2017, I was asked to provide police and court documents one day after the submission of eTA application. Then my eTA application was refused for 3 weeks after the submission of eTA application. I don't know why there was no further response for 1 month after the submission of eTA application at this time.

Have you ever heard a person who is deemed rehabilitated needs to wait for several months for the eTA to be approved?

I had fulfilled all the criteria for the deemed rehabilitation (i.e. not serious and not involving any involve any property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon). You are true.

I have seen in this forum that the status was "Pending Registration" means the visa applications were not started to be processed by the IRCC. When the status changed to "Submitted", the visa applications would be processed by the IRCC. Then the IRCC would tell the visa outcome (i.e. approved or refused).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am not sure whether it takes a few months to have my eTA application being processed.
I can confirm this is the case as we have a number of people on this forum who have experienced this recently or are experiencing this right now. If your application is non-standard, expect a wait of a few months.

Last edited:

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
I can confirm this is the case as we have a number of people on this forum who have experienced this recently or are experiencing this right now. If your application is non-standard, expect a wait of a few months.
Do you think the reason is the re-opening of Canadian borders? If I submitted the application before the re-opening of the borders, would my eTA application be processed much more quickly? Another question, would the number of IRCC staff be reduced due to the COVID-19 before the re-opening of borders?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you think the reason is the re-opening of Canadian borders? If I submitted the application before the re-opening of the borders, would my eTA application be processed much more quickly? Another question, would the number of IRCC staff be reduced due to the COVID-19 before the re-opening of borders?
I'm not certain what you mean by the reopening of the border. Ultimately it doesn't matter what might have been.

I'm not aware of any staff reductions.

IRCC does have a high volume of applications they are working through and this is most likely the driver for any delays. It's been like this for quite some time now.

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
I'm not certain what you mean by the reopening of the border. Ultimately it doesn't matter what might have been.

I'm not aware of any staff reductions.

IRCC does have a high volume of applications they are working through and this is most likely the driver for any delays. It's been like this for quite some time now.
Maybe I make you confused. The re-opening means Canada resumes travel despite the impact of COVID-19. Many foreigners can travel to Canada without quarantine. Do you think this is a main reason why it takes much more time for the eTA application to be processed?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Maybe I make you confused. The re-opening means Canada resumes travel despite the impact of COVID-19. Many foreigners can travel to Canada without quarantine. Do you think this is a main reason why it takes much more time for the eTA application to be processed?
No, I don't think that is the reason.

There were large application backlogs created by COVID. IRCC is still working through those. I don't think it has anything to do with the border re-opening.

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
No, I don't think that is the reason.

There were large application backlogs created by COVID. IRCC is still working through those. I don't think it has anything to do with the border re-opening.
Is it because the IRCC staff workload had been greatly increased due to the COVID-19 but the manpower was very limited? Is it the fact that the number of IRCC staff who can work in the office had been greatly reduced?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Is it because the IRCC staff workload had been greatly increased due to the COVID-19 but the manpower was very limited? Is it the fact that the number of IRCC staff who can work in the office had been greatly reduced?
Your eTA application is non-standard, and it will take as much time as it needs.

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
Your eTA application is non-standard, and it will take as much time as it needs.
I understand. But I don’t know why it only took 3 weeks to be processed in the last eTA application in 2017. At that time, there was no COVID-19. As a result, much more visa applicants must apply for the Canadian visas and ETAs, including the applicants with criminal records.

But there was COVID-19 at this time. It should be much less travellers who travel to Canada than 2017. As a result, the processing time for visa and ETA must not be longer than 2017. Even the applications for the Rehabilitation and Deemed Rehabilitation must not be processed for a much longer time than 2017.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand. But I don’t know why it only took 3 weeks to be processed in the last eTA application in 2017. At that time, there was no COVID-19. As a result, much more visa applicants must apply for the Canadian visas and ETAs, including the applicants with criminal records.

But there was COVID-19 at this time. It should be much less travellers who travel to Canada than 2017. As a result, the processing time for visa and ETA must not be longer than 2017. Even the applications for the Rehabilitation and Deemed Rehabilitation must not be processed for a much longer time than 2017.
Everything is taking longer right now, including rehab applications.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you think there is an additional reason, apart from COVID-19? For example, security has become much stricter than 2017.
It's due to high application volumes.

Reactions: bellaluna

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
SOME IMPORTANT QUESTIONS.

If I have fulfilled all the requirements for the Deemed Rehabilitation, will the IRCC request me to submit police certificates and court records? Can the IRCC approve the ETA without any further explanations from the visa applicants? For example, why do they consider rehabilitated and why will they not re-offend?

If I have NOT fulfilled all the requirements for the Deemed Rehabilitation, will the IRCC give me an opportunity to explain before the ETA is refused?

If the ETA is refused, can I appeal to the Federal Court of Canada? I can't afford to appoint a lawyer. How should I do?