+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA instead of work visa?

pradafang

Sep 6, 2017
Hello everyone,

Two years ago I got a work visa in Mexico. I arrived in Canada and got my work permit at the airport.

I recently came back to apply for a new work permit (change of employer), and it was approved, but this time they didn't ask for my passport to stamp a work visa on it, instead they issued an eTA.

I'm just a bit confused now. Is the eTA now enough for me to fly to Canada so I can get the work permit at the airport? Because that's kinda how it sounds. I thought eTA was just for tourists and work visa was for those who want to enter to work though...

Did anyone here arrive in Canada with an eTA and got their work permit at the airport of arrival?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

Two years ago I got a work visa in Mexico. I arrived in Canada and got my work permit at the airport.

I recently came back to apply for a new work permit (change of employer), and it was approved, but this time they didn't ask for my passport to stamp a work visa on it, instead they issued an eTA.

I'm just a bit confused now. Is the eTA now enough for me to fly to Canada so I can get the work permit at the airport? Because that's kinda how it sounds. I thought eTA was just for tourists and work visa was for those who want to enter to work though...

Did anyone here arrive in Canada with an eTA and got their work permit at the airport of arrival?
Hi

TRVs/eTAs have nothing to do with your status in Canada. They are simply permission to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. TRVs are issued to those requiring visas, while eTAs are issued to those who are visa-exempt.

Mexicans used to require a TRV to board a plane to Canada, hence why you were issued one previously. As Mexicans are now visa-exempt, you were issued an eTA to board the plane to Canada.