+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA document has old passport number. Need some questions answered.

jasonsmith

Oct 10, 2018
So my mom is going to Canada through an ETA document. She is from Asia and she met someone here who can arrange someone in Canada to sponsor her for a fee, the sponsor by a lawyer over in Canada and she can go once the document is done. I'm currently not in the same country as my mother but today she went to see the ETA document.
Now the issue is in the document it shows my moms old passport number, not the new one. She has both passports and I guess she gave the wrong passport number to the person. Now the the person in the country as my mom, said he can fix this and put my moms current passport number within 1-2 days or so. He had called my mom like 2 hours ago saying the document is fixed and updated with the new passport number on the ETA, and that she can pay the person and get the document and travel to Canada.

But my question is, is it possible to update a whole ETA document this quick? It wasn't even one day even. Should I be worried about my mom getting in trouble? I'm just looking for advice. I advised her to call another lawyer in Canada and she said this new lawyer says its possible to change within 1-2 days but no mention of the same day.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So my mom is going to Canada through an ETA document. She is from Asia and she met someone here who can arrange someone in Canada to sponsor her for a fee, the sponsor by a lawyer over in Canada and she can go once the document is done. I'm currently not in the same country as my mother but today she went to see the ETA document.
Now the issue is in the document it shows my moms old passport number, not the new one. She has both passports and I guess she gave the wrong passport number to the person. Now the the person in the country as my mom, said he can fix this and put my moms current passport number within 1-2 days or so. He had called my mom like 2 hours ago saying the document is fixed and updated with the new passport number on the ETA, and that she can pay the person and get the document and travel to Canada.

But my question is, is it possible to update a whole ETA document this quick? It wasn't even one day even. Should I be worried about my mom getting in trouble? I'm just looking for advice. I advised her to call another lawyer in Canada and she said this new lawyer says its possible to change within 1-2 days but no mention of the same day.
Your mother is likely being scammed. What do you mean by "sponsor by a lawyer"? What country is she from?

jasonsmith

Oct 10, 2018
Your mother is likely being scammed. What do you mean by "sponsor by a lawyer"? What country is she from?
She says there is a lawyer in canada who does the paperwork and such and sponsors her to come visit the country, he just happens to be a lawyer. I saw the document, it came with an ETA number and all that but she didnt get to enter it because the passpost number was the old one. Of course the document could be fake but it seemed legit from the picture she sent me, a bit unclear but hard to say. Just curious if it is even possible to update a whole document within a few hours? She is from Sri Lanka.

WIll try to get more information from her soon.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She says there is a lawyer in canada who does the paperwork and such and sponsors her to come visit the country, he just happens to be a lawyer. I saw the document, it came with an ETA number and all that but she didnt get to enter it because the passpost number was the old one. Of course the document could be fake but it seemed legit from the picture she sent me, a bit unclear but hard to say. Just curious if it is even possible to update a whole document within a few hours? She is from Sri Lanka.

Scam. People from Sri Lanka need a TRV to travel to Canada, not an eTA.

jasonsmith

Oct 10, 2018
Scam. People from Sri Lanka need a TRV to travel to Canada, not an eTA.
Are you sure about this? because I told her the same thing, that Sri lankans can't go with the ETA. I gave her this websites law firm number and a few other lawyers. She called and said that it is fine for Sri Lankans to come with ETA, won't be an issue. I know Sri Lanka is not in the ETA list of Countries but the lawyers from Canada said it wont be a issue.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Are you sure about this? because I told her the same thing, that Sri lankans can't go with the ETA. I gave her this websites law firm number and a few other lawyers. She called and said that it is fine for Sri Lankans to come with ETA, won't be an issue. I know Sri Lanka is not in the ETA list of Countries but the lawyers from Canada said it wont be a issue.
Is she a US green card holder?

jasonsmith

Oct 10, 2018
Is she a US green card holder?
No she's not. Only Sri Lankan. I believe someone sponsoring her ETA, might allow Sri Lankans to enter the country with ETA. I will call some lawyers and find out some more infomation. We only went through with this ETA because all the lawyers we talked to said the ETA for my mom who is Sri Lankan won't be a issue.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No she's not. Only Sri Lankan. I believe someone sponsoring her ETA, might allow Sri Lankans to enter the country with ETA. I will call some lawyers and find out some more infomation. We only went through with this ETA because all the lawyers we talked to said the ETA for my mom who is Sri Lankan won't be a issue.
100% scam. She will not be allowed to board a plane to Canada without a TRV. There is no such thing as "sponsoring an eTA". How much has she already lost?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Check to see if her country of citizenship is in the eTA list. If not, it's definitely a scam anyway.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/entry-requirements-country.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Sri Lankan citizenship does not permit an eTA to be obtained. She must obtain a standard TRV, according to the link above. SCAM!

jasonsmith

Oct 10, 2018
100% scam. She will not be allowed to board a plane to Canada without a TRV. There is no such thing as "sponsoring an eTA". How much has she already lost?
She has not paid anything. Just confused because I literally gave my mom the number below that is given on this website, and she talked to a lawyer and he said it was fine, and we talked to many other Canadian lawyers and they all said it was fine. Thats why we went ahead with this. I will call the lawyers again and find out. So confused right now.

Edit: managed to get on call, she said the sponsoring part is wrong but it is someone from Canada doing the paper work and applying ETA for her, but its a sponsorship or anything, thats misinformation by me.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
She has not paid anything. Just confused because I literally gave my mom the number below that is given on this website, and she talked to a lawyer and he said it was fine, and we talked to many other Canadian lawyers and they all said it was fine. Thats why we went ahead with this. I will call the lawyers again and find out. So confused right now.

Edit: managed to get on call, she said the sponsoring part is wrong but it is someone from Canada doing the paper work and applying ETA for her, but its a sponsorship or anything, thats misinformation by me.
Unless she has dual citizenship with a country that is visa exempt to Canada, an eTA is still not possible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You can call as many lawyers as you want. This is a scam. Sri Lankan citizens are not visa-exempt and she will not be able to board a plane to Canada without a TRV.