+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA details - My experience

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Not really sure where this fits, but wanted to provide my own eTA experience.

Munich, two weeks ago, there was an announcement that you needed to get a red stamp on your passport (eTA confirmation) if you wanted to get onto the plane. This is despite the apparent leniency period.

Yesterday, Moscow, checked in on a final destination in Canada with no questions asked.

Earlier today, Frankfurt I was told by two people a general help desk and a lounge guard (Air Canada) that I didn't need anything, the latter said it'll be checked at the gate. At gate there was a passport validation and I was asked questions.... but had no issues. I have a CoPR (admittedly, only a very good photocopy was on me) but he didn't ask to see it and I didn't have to start showing them print outs of the CBSA website. If I had needed, I could have bluffed but was honest and he was fine. There was some kind of sheet of information, this may have shown my lack of an eTA? I didn't really want to push!

Interesting, at Ottawa airport there was an interesting conversation with CBSA about my current status in Canada as I am a resident on a work permit. But I was eventually able to explain my request to enter and then cross the Rainbow bridge later because of my short transfer time and having to collect luggage and clear customs too.

She reviewed the permit, interrogated me about where I'd been, but was through in 3-4 mins?

Happy to be home :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Much as expected but shame the airlines cannot be bothered to update their websites on the ETA leniency period, instead just saying mandatory from March 15th thus creating all sorts of confusion. Not sure airlines even seem to have any info on PR requirements for visa-exempts post end September whether they will check or not.