+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA canceled for Mexicans

ThomThomP

Mar 6, 2024
Hi,

Canada canceled my ETA because I am mexican. I asked for a visa but I don't think I will have it at time for my travel.
M'y flight IS in 4 weeks and where I live a visa took 30 days...
I am si disapointed !

ThomThomP

Mar 6, 2024
You are probably right but I live in France and not an expert in Canada geopolitics.
Canada gave me the ETA without specifical warning a few months ago.
If we can't have confidence in this kind of documents it will be very complicated to travel at this time.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You are probably right but I live in France and not an expert in Canada geopolitics.
Canada gave me the ETA without specifical warning a few months ago.
If we can't have confidence in this kind of documents it will be very complicated to travel at this time.
Then it’ll just go back to the time all Mexican citizens had to apply for a visa .
Geopolitics ? In a nutshell the number of individuals from Mexico using the ETA, flying to Canada, then claiming asylum exploded .
That’s it in a nutshell

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Canada canceled my ETA because I am mexican. I asked for a visa but I don't think I will have it at time for my travel.
M'y flight IS in 4 weeks and where I live a visa took 30 days...
I am si disapointed !
Submit the TRV application asap and hope it is approved in time for your travel dates.

Reactions: canuck78

tommy_2k23

May 10, 2023
Then it’ll just go back to the time all Mexican citizens had to apply for a visa .
Geopolitics ? In a nutshell the number of individuals from Mexico using the ETA, flying to Canada, then claiming asylum exploded .
That’s it in a nutshell
why do they need canadian passport i mean their passport is pretty strong , people who ask for asylum does canadian govt looks after everything for them?

i heard ukranians are getting visas with work based PR approved. The world is not white and black , unfortunately. Canadians during winters in Canada come to stay in Mexico. Visa free

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: tommy_2k23

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
why do they need canadian passport i mean their passport is pretty strong , people who ask for asylum does canadian govt looks after everything for them?

i heard ukranians are getting visas with work based PR approved. The world is not white and black , unfortunately. Canadians during winters in Canada come to stay in Mexico. Visa free
Ukrainians got WPs not PR. Also quite different situations. Many Mexicans were abusing the ETAs by either crossing into the US illegally or by claiming asylum when most were economic immigrants. Large majority were denied but given that it is very hard to deport people from Canada not people just stayed and kept applying for programs or remained undocumented. Many were using the ETA as a way to move to Canada which is not what the ETA is for.

tommy_2k23

May 10, 2023
Ukrainians got WPs not PR. Also quite different situations. Many Mexicans were abusing the ETAs by either crossing into the US illegally or by claiming asylum when most were economic immigrants. Large majority were denied but given that it is very hard to deport people from Canada not people just stayed and kept applying for programs or remained undocumented. Many were using the ETA as a way to move to Canada which is not what the ETA is for.
if you have work permits how hard it is to get a PR after crossing that hurdle. Do Mexicans even have suffcient income to even travel to Canada and abuse ETA? why in 2024 why not many decades before. I am not supporting Mexicans just trying to get into real logical reasons.

I think Ukranians are exhausting the system of western countries it seems. I guess someone who is less educated and does not contribute to Canadian economy they have to be made as a scapegoat.

As of speaking crossing lands illegally well the USA and NATO do not even need permission from respective countries they just cross by force , with out ETA and VISA shiit, my try at humor :)
if Mexicans are trying to cross USA illegally based on my historical information they will land into the former territory of Mexico (which was taken by USA). again my shiit try at humor

:)

There are documentations needed even for asylum claim it is not like you turn up and say I am eligible for asylum :). There might be checks and balances and interview etc

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
if you have work permits how hard it is to get a PR after crossing that hurdle. Do Mexicans even have suffcient income to even travel to Canada and abuse ETA? why in 2024 why not many decades before. I am not supporting Mexicans just trying to get into real logical reasons.

I think Ukranians are exhausting the system of western countries it seems. I guess someone who is less educated and does not contribute to Canadian economy they have to be made as a scapegoat.

As of speaking crossing lands illegally well the USA and NATO do not even need permission from respective countries they just cross by force , with out ETA and VISA shiit, my try at humor :)
if Mexicans are trying to cross USA illegally based on my historical information they will land into the former territory of Mexico (which was taken by USA). again my shiit try at humor

There are documentations needed even for asylum claim it is not like you turn up and say I am eligible for asylum :). There might be checks and balances and interview etc
It has become fairly difficult to get PR if you have been working in Canada on a work permit. It was much easier precovid. There have been longterm issues with Mexicans coming as visitors and trying to remain in Canada by various methods or attempting to enter the US via Canada. There was a visa requirement around 10 years ago that was changed to ETA around. There was concern that this was going to be problematic but due to economic ties between Mexico, US and Canada there was quite a lot of pressure to move to an ETA. There was also a lot of growth of the upper middle class and wealthy who may want to visit Canada so there was economic benefit for Canada in possible tourism. Many Mexicans who live in Canada or who are not Canadian citizens also have family and friends who would want to visit. There was always an issue with Mexicans coming to Canada and wanting to remain in Canada but in the past few years there has been been a very large increase in the amount of people claiming asylum, coming to Canada and trying to secure a WP, coming to Canada and working illegally for cash jobs, coming to Canada to cross into the US illegally, etc. It sounds like many have heard on social media that it is easy to move to Canada and get a work permit or be granted asylum. Many discover after the fact that it is fairly hard to get approved for asylum for example and that you aren’t given free nice housing, generous welfare payment from the government, etc. Many are truly economic immigrants and often have nice lives in Mexico but want to escape from cartel violence in Mexico and the economic issues and weren’t expecting that coming to Canada and setting up a new life would be quite challenging and that the asylum process is often years not months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

There have been numerous situations in the past 15 years that have created large movement of people not just Ukranians. Most countries have not recovered from the amount of Syrian refugees resettled into other counties. In many countries refugees from Syria remain unemployed and are dependent on various government support system and charities to live. The volume of Ukrainians who have left Ukraines for other countries has strained the systems even more but this is in addition to people from Afghanistan, various African countries, Myanmar, Venezuela and other South American countries, etc. There are also a lot of Syrians who are still looking for resettlement and with the Lebanese economy in crisis now host countries are also citizens looking for resettlement abroad.

Yes you need proof that your life is at risk with evidence. Canada is quite trusting and it is tough to provide evidence of things like sexuality since there has been a limit as to what level of intimate information can be asked for. There are quite a lot of economic immigrants that provide evidence of why they need asylum. There is a market that just supplies fake documents or documents containing fake information like police reports that can be obtained for a price in many countries. Canada also allows various forms of appeals if denied and many can keep on applying for immigration programs without being deported often for over a decade which most would be shocked to see. Unlike other countries it is quite hard to get deported from Canada. The longer you remain in Canada the higher the chance that you may find a partner who is a PR or citizen who could sponsor you, the more likely you are to have a child, etc. all of which will open up other pathways to remain in Canada. The system in general is expensive and not efficient. Since it is difficult and expensive to deport people from Canada, Canada tries to make it more difficult to get to Canada. That is one of the reasons that it can be difficult to get a TRV to come to Canada while it is much easier to get a tourist visa to visit the US. Due to backlogs around a year ago IRCC stopped screening TRV applications like they used to which is one of the reasons that there has been a huge surge of asylum seekers arriving by plane while number pre 2023 was much smaller.