+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Establishing common law while doing contract work in America

xpogomena

Dec 26, 2018
My girlfriend and i have been together for about 3 years. She has been going to college in Canada for the majority of our relationship, so most of the time i visit her for increments of anywhere between 2 days and 3 weeks. I have been looking into establishing common law, but im not completely sure if it is my best/only option. I normally fly or drive to different events that i work at in the states for about 2 weeks every month. If i understand common law fully, it appears that i need to stay in Canada for a minimum of a year straight before i can apply for family sponsorship (her family is completely willing for me to stay with them and help in any way they can). I am just curious if there is any way to establish common law (or conjugal law, but i dont understand quite what that means) while still leaving the country to work/seeing my family in the states for holidays. Any advice would help as all of this is pretty overwhelming for me. Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My girlfriend and i have been together for about 3 years. She has been going to college in Canada for the majority of our relationship, so most of the time i visit her for increments of anywhere between 2 days and 3 weeks. I have been looking into establishing common law, but im not completely sure if it is my best/only option. I normally fly or drive to different events that i work at in the states for about 2 weeks every month. If i understand common law fully, it appears that i need to stay in Canada for a minimum of a year straight before i can apply for family sponsorship (her family is completely willing for me to stay with them and help in any way they can). I am just curious if there is any way to establish common law (or conjugal law, but i dont understand quite what that means) while still leaving the country to work/seeing my family in the states for holidays. Any advice would help as all of this is pretty overwhelming for me. Thanks in advance!
You don't qualify for conjugal as there are no real immigration barriers preventing you from getting married or becoming common law. If you work in the US for 2 weeks out of every month, this is far too much time spent apart to be considered as common law (common law requires a full year of continuous cohabitation). Based on the information you've provided so far - there is no means by which you can establish common law at this time while maintaining the job/travel schedule you have now. Best option is to get married.