+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Essential Travel - Spouse travel

jayzrulz

May 31, 2020
Hi All,

I migrated to Canada in February on work visa and filed open work visa for my wife in February itself. During First week of May we got the refusal on open work permit so I applied for visitor visa now.

I also sent an email explaining the case on the email CIC has mentioned for the authorization.

Can anyone please help what steps should I take so that my wife could travel and be with me asap?

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I migrated to Canada in February on work visa and filed open work visa for my wife in February itself. During First week of May we got the refusal on open work permit so I applied for visitor visa now.

I also sent an email explaining the case on the email CIC has mentioned for the authorization.

Can anyone please help what steps should I take so that my wife could travel and be with me asap?

Thanks.
There's really nothing you can do but wait for the application to be processed. Note that application processing is slower right now due to COVID-19. You should expect it will likely take a few months for the application to be processed.

You should also be aware that your wife most likely will not be able to travel to Canada while the travel ban is in place. Her reasons for coming to Canada will not be classified as essential.

jayzrulz

May 31, 2020
T
There's really nothing you can do but wait for the application to be processed. Note that application processing is slower right now due to COVID-19. You should expect it will likely take a few months for the application to be processed.

You should also be aware that your wife most likely will not be able to travel to Canada while the travel ban is in place. Her reasons for coming to Canada will not be classified as essential.
Thanks for your reply. But CIC explicitly states that immediate family member are exempts from the travel ban. Am I missing something?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
T

Thanks for your reply. But CIC explicitly states that immediate family member are exempts from the travel ban. Am I missing something?
The exemption is for immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

Since you are here on a temporary work permit, your wife can only travel to Canada if she can prove her reasons for traveling are essential. Based on the experiences on this forum, it is difficult to prove that travel is essential in these situations. Coming to visit you will most likely not be classified as an essential reason for traveling.