+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Essential Travel in Open Work Permit

Mads.16

May 18, 2020
Category........
WP
Hi

I have got an open work permit approval on March 3rd 2020 valid until March 2021, but I could not travel due to pandemic.
The borders are now closed but all temporary foreign workers are exempted from travel restrictions, if essential !! my husband is in B.C on work permit..So can travelling to reunite and live with spouse be considered as essential ?

As per IRCC non essential is referred to tourism and entertainment, that is not the scenario off course.

Manpreet_kaur1100

Dec 10, 2019
you can fly anytime you want but condition totally depends upon your home country because you can only fly if flights are operating in your country

also Open Work Permit holders comes into essential(s) only.

Manpreet_kaur1100

Dec 10, 2019
Hi

I have got an open work permit approval on March 3rd 2020 valid until March 2021, but I could not travel due to pandemic.
The borders are now closed but all temporary foreign workers are exempted from travel restrictions, if essential !! my husband is in B.C on work permit..So can travelling to reunite and live with spouse be considered as essential ?

As per IRCC non essential is referred to tourism and entertainment, that is not the scenario off course.
No one can travel on Visitor Visa till June 30th, 2020 as per IRCC

Mads.16

May 18, 2020
Category........
WP
you can fly anytime you want but condition totally depends upon your home country because you can only fly if flights are operating in your country

also Open Work Permit holders comes into essential(s) only.
Thanks for the reply.
I m not holding a job at present if that will be a problem?

Manpreet_kaur1100

Dec 10, 2019
Thanks for the reply.
that wont affect you but you wont find job that easy also

so in case if you are travelling alone or with family then you must have sufficient amount with you for living expense their till the time you get job

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, this may be a problem. Some open work permit holder on this forum have been refused boarding. It's really hard to say what will happen if you try to fly now - but you can certainly try.

Reactions: Mads.16

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hi fyi im on open work permit and was denied boarding since Airlines coordinated with the CBSA. I don't have any job offer yet hence they denied me even if im to live with my spouse in Canada on closed work permit.

Reactions: Mads.16

Manpreet_kaur1100

Dec 10, 2019
Hi fyi im on open work permit and was denied boarding since Airlines coordinated with the CBSA. I don't have any job offer yet hence they denied me even if im to live with my spouse in Canada on closed work permit.
hi!

when did you got approval and what is your spouse status in Canada?

raquel.ac

May 19, 2020
Hi, me and my husband are in a similar situation.

I have a Study Permit and my husband has an Open Work Permit (both approved in january 2020). I already started my classes from outside Canada and i'm planning to travel to Vancouver on July. I know that my student status fit the travel exemption but what about my husband? Will he be able to fly with me even if he doesn't have a job offer?

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019

I have a Study Permit and my husband has an Open Work Permit (both approved in january 2020). I already started my classes from outside Canada and i'm planning to travel to Vancouver on July. I know that my student status fit the travel exemption but what about my husband? Will he be able to fly with me even if he doesn't have a job offer?
Not sure about that you need to call CBSA, since they dont allow those on work permit that do not have a valid job w8ng for them in Canada.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Contacted IRCC asked for an authorization letter even if I know we are exempt for workers and students, but it has to be ESSENTIAL purpose. Problem is with the CBSA they have their own rules so if school doesn't start yet and theres no job offer waiting for you they don't consider it as essential. Based on my experience it was a pain going through it all with my daughter and getting denied boarding.

Mads.16

May 18, 2020
Category........
WP
Has someone dm'ed to Canadian high commission page on fb. They seem to be very active and has replied to many ..can enquire them Directly ?

Mads.16

May 18, 2020
Category........
WP

Hiii as per cic news the current travel ban is till 30th June . It was earlier may 19 but got extended.