+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Error on "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" PLEASE HELP:(:(:(:(

pedram19518

May 26, 2014
Hi guys,

As you may know, bill c24 has been passed and all of us are counting our days to apply for citizenship before implementation of the new law. I will be eligible to apply for citizenship next week, on July 12th, 2014. But tonight I noticed that the "Org. entry date" part of my confirmation of permanent residence form (IMM5688) has been filled wrong by the border officer. I came to Canada on September 2008 and became PR on 19 March 2012. On the COPR form, the "Became PR on" date is correct, but "Orig. entry date' is 19 March 2013!!! which is not only is not september 2008, but also is a year after becoming PR!!

Please Please Please tell me what should I do! You know that how frustrating was the past couple of months that bill c24 was under review and now while it seems that I have a chance that I can apply under the old citizenship requirements, I found this error:(:(

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
pedram19518 said:
Hi guys,

As you may know, bill c24 has been passed and all of us are counting our days to apply for citizenship before implementation of the new law. I will be eligible to apply for citizenship next week, on July 12th, 2014. But tonight I noticed that the "Org. entry date" part of my confirmation of permanent residence form (IMM5688) has been filled wrong by the border officer. I came to Canada on September 2008 and became PR on 19 March 2012. On the COPR form, the "Became PR on" date is correct, but "Orig. entry date' is 19 March 2013!!! which is not only is not september 2008, but also is a year after becoming PR!!

Please Please Please tell me what should I do! You know that how frustrating was the past couple of months that bill c24 was under review and now while it seems that I have a chance that I can apply under the old citizenship requirements, I found this error:(:(
Normally, at the point of entry where you landed, any errors should have been corrected. Now you can do two things. The first is to write a cover letter explaining the absurdity (the date could not possibly be in the future). The second thing is to call CIC and ask for information on how to have this rectified -- I doubt they can issue a new COPR because it's been a long time since you landed and the current COPR has probably expired.

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Should IMM 5292 have the original entry date on it as well? I landed in Aug 2011 but have lived in Canada since Oct 2008. I can't see anything on my COPR that matches my original entry date.

Unfortunately I only have a scan of the front of my COPR as the original is in a safety deposit box. If anyone can tell me what number the original entry date should appear next to (if at all) from the key on the back page of IMM 5292 it would be appreciated!

Thanks

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
pedros said:
Should IMM 5292 have the original entry date on it as well? I landed in Aug 2011 but have lived in Canada since Oct 2008. I can't see anything on my COPR that matches my original entry date.

Unfortunately I only have a scan of the front of my COPR as the original is in a safety deposit box. If anyone can tell me what number the original entry date should appear next to (if at all) from the key on the back page of IMM 5292 it would be appreciated!

Thanks
No, the COPR does not show the original date of entry -- just when it was issued by the visa office, when you entered Canada as a landed immigrant, and when the COPR expires, among other things.

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
pedram19518 said:
Hi guys,

In your COPR, what are the dates on lines 31 (Date of Medical Validity), 32 (Date Issued), 33 (Date of Visa Validity). They should all be within 6 months of each other in 2012. If they are, it would be clear to CIC that the date of entry of 2013 is incorrect.

I think, you should be ok.

Ray

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please check this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/amend.asp
It's IMM 1436 Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents

Your amendment should be pretty easy to prove since 19 March 2013 is a year after the document was issued.

I would recommend waiting to apply until this is sorted out. We don't know when exactly CIC will implement Bill C24, but it's not going to be in the next 3 weeks.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Empirical-Scientist said:
...the current COPR has probably expired.
While the COPR has a time limit for a person to land, the COPR itself does not expire. Just like a birth certificate doesn't expire. It's something you need to hold onto forever, as there are various used for it later in life, including establishing eligibility for Old Age pension.

Unfortunately, the document is pretty rickety for something you need to keep forever, so I recommend making a few high quality photocopies before all the carbon wears off. (Though maybe they're not on carbon paper anymore??)

Also, keep in mind that not every line is filled out on the COPR, while blatant errors (such as the wrong date written down) should be corrected, I wouldn't worry about blanks. In my case, the date of original entry was left blank, though I arrived in Canada 4 years before I became a PR and used some of that time as citizenship qualifying time. This was not a problem during my oath ceremony and (seemingly) not a contributing factor to my RQ.

Aero1french

Jul 20, 2016
I received my CoPR today, and if the date of my original entry (march 2013) is correct, on the contrary the date of my last entry (january 2015, as i was returning from vacations) they put march 2013 as well

How is it gonna go with that ? i checked on CIC you can only modify the date of your first entry

I'm a french citizen